Monday, July 18, 2005

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

The second law of thermodynamics basically states that everything will fall apart in the end.

Most ideas in science are considered theoretical- so it must be pretty well proven for it to be considered an actual law. However, in case you still aren't sure, I offer further proof as to the validity of this law, below.

As it pertains to:

1. My Life
I saw an old friend at my sisters wedding; she is actually the mother of my sister's best friend. I always enjoyed her company because of her wit and her upfront, say-it-as-I-see-it manner. I havn't seen her in years- since before Juliette was born, in fact. She commented that she always thought that I would be the type of mother that was very much in control of things, that would have everything broken down into lists and schedules and that- get this- I would actually be able to follow these schedules. If anyone could do it, she said, it would be me. Thus, I tell you this now: I have not done it and, therefore, it cannot be done. Yes, it was a difficult lesson to learn, but as my high school physics teacher taught me: as hard as you try to keep things organized, it is the natural state of things to move towards disorder. Semi-controlled chaos is my way of life, now.

2. My Body.
Last week, both girls were in day care and I wasn't yet back at work. Ah, what to do with all that free time??? I had many ideas, but ended up spending a large amount of time on the hellish task of finding something to wear to my sister's rehearsal dinner. My post-pregnancy belly and breastfeeding chest made it hard for me to predict what size clothes to try; I have curves where none used to exist and the old curves have both expanded and redistributed themselves. Where once there was order (and muscle tone), there is now- well- much less. OK, I could actually start working out and thereby defy the laws of thermodynamics by restoring order to this body, but who am I to fight nature?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new title of your blog Tina!

I do have to say you make the semi-controlled chaos look good. And your girls seem to be turning out a-okay so far!

Hope the 1st day back at work wasn't too exhausting!

Kim Tracy Prince said...

OKAY WHERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE WEDDING WEEKEND, AND THUS, THE OUTFIT YOU FINALLY CHOSE FOR THE REHEARSAL DINNER?!?!

That was me, yelling.

And I can't believe you're back at work. That must suck.

Anonymous said...

I am assuming I know who that individual is and I will add this - I have never seen you more at ease and at peace as you are with your two daughters. Chaos aside you have learned from your first child and have now applied those lessons to rearing both. You have chosen to control what you can and attempt to manage what you can't. Looking at your daughters, you are making very smart choices.