Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Bed Time Battles

Juliette is screaming for me from her room. It is a new phase, which started a week ago, one where she won't go to sleep by herself. I am trying hard not to give in and go get her. Such love and desperate need! It pulls at my heart, which beats "Go to her, go to her". Then my head takes over. I can almost hear Ferber, Mindell and Sears chime in with their opinions, as well. Greg absentmindendly advises "wait 3 more minutes". He is watching a WWII documentary on the History channel and keeps turning the volume up to drown out the screams. That is one way to deal with it, I guess.

Meanwhile I am feeding Cosette in the hopes that she will drift off to dreamland. Instead, she is wide awake, and- in the glow of the computer screen ( I have my laptop on a tray table next to the glider)- staring up at me with a huge grin on her face. Such love and adoration! It melts my heart. I don't dare put her down, I can't deal with two crying girls. If they were a bit older Cosette would be the triumphant one, taunting her older sister "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah". Instead, since she is only 11 weeks old and hasn't learned to be so cruel yet, she is just cooing softly and sucking on her fingers. It is adorable. But still, I'd rather she was sleeping.

No comments: