Thursday, August 25, 2005

Pavlov in the age of modern technology.

Pavlov's famous experiment with the dog and the bell showed how animals (and humans) can be trained to respond in a certain way to a particular stimulus. Breastfeeding mothers understand this phenomenon quite well because of the let-down reflex. I found this simplified definition online, on medicine.net: "Let down reflex: An involuntary reflex during breastfeeding which causes the milk to flow freely." It's actually a hormonal thing. Anyway, when you are actively feeding the baby, the baby's sucking will stimulate the let-down reflex. The mere thought of nursing, or the sound of a crying baby (yours or otherwise), can also stimulate this reflex. I, however, am a breastfeeding mom in the age of modern technology. Now, when I gather my electric pump and all the accompanying gear (shields, valves and bottles), I have a let down reflex.

No comments: