Last night, Juliette and I were sitting in the dark, enjoying the stillness. Juliette doesn't sit still for very often, so I savor these moments of calm. We were near the end of our bedtime ritual: she had taken a bath, I had dressed her in her pajamas, and we had read three books (several times each). Then, since Cosette wasn't crying, we turned off the lights to take a few minutes to cuddle, sing a few nursery rhymes, and wind down. Occasionally Juliette will be a little cranky at this point, asking for juice or daddy or complaining that she wants to play- all attempts to stave off the inevitable: bedtime. Sometimes, when she is still feeling energetic, she gets the 'hiccups': she'll make little gasping noises and wait, giggling in anticipation, because my remedy for Juliette's 'hiccups' are "tickle fingers". If I don't hear the 'hiccups' at first, she'll impatiently announce "Mommy I have the hiccups. Tickle fingers!". Last night was one night when the hiccups seemed incurable, despite my best efforts. Juliette's laughter is contagious, so we were giggling together like two little girls. And then something curious happened; I had paused to let Juliette catch her breath, when all of a sudden she reached up and... tickled me back!
We both got a good laugh, and then she went to bed. Greg asked what all the laughing was, so I explained to him about the tickle fingers. Then I thought for a minute- oh, did he mean before then? Because when we were getting ready for the bath Juliette had done something that made me laugh; and during her bath she had tried to make me laugh by repeating a phrase that I had previously found humorous. And I realized that my daughter is turning into a little comedian! I love when her way of getting my attention is to make me laugh, rather then to throw a tantrum. I love that she is developing such a personality, and I love watching her as she learns how her words and behaviors affect others. I am amazed at what a little person she is becoming!
No comments:
Post a Comment