Juliette has a bathtub toy, "Bob Along Boat". It is a flat sailboat that fits into the pocket of an accompanying bathtub book. Inside the sailboat is a small weight, so when you drop the sailboat into the water, it sinks under but immediately bobs on back to the surface. Juliette knows there is something inside the boat; everytime we play with it she asks "what's in there?" and I explain that it is a little weight to make the boat go under the water. The first time I answered that question I incorrectly stated that it was a magnet; so Juliette always responds "No, it's a magnet." To which I answer "No, Juliette, mommy made a mistake. It is not a magnet because it doesn't stick to anything. It is just a small weight." At which point she will look at the boat, then stick it in her mouth and start gnawing at it. She is bound and determined to rip that thing open so that she can see for herself what it is that is inside.
Juliette's father, as a young boy, took apart several toy drums because he was trying to figure out where the noise came from. And yes, over the years, he has gotten good at putting things back together, too. Which is why Juliette is so confidant that once she rips open the boat to find the weight, "It's OK, Daddy fix it."
No comments:
Post a Comment