Thursday, December 29, 2005

Positive Reinfocement

Having 2 full time jobs can be very tiring and sometimes I wonder if I shortchange my daughters in order to maintain my career. I know I shortchange my career- I am on the slooooow track right now. So it is really uplifting when I get a little positive reinforcement. Lately, it has been coming from the sweetest and most surprising source: Juliette.

I’ll make her a waffle for breakfast, and she’ll say “Thanks Mom. You’re the Best.” I’ll comb her hair and tell her how pretty she looks, and she responds “Thanks Mom. You’re the Best.” I tuck her in at night and as I’m walking out telling her “Good night, sleep tight, sweet dreams” she will pipe up “I love you mom, you’re the Best.”

Oh, it just melts my heart! Course, I think it is all a plot. She is learning from her father how to work it. She is so smart!! For example:

One morning, mom came over to help me get the girls ready for daycare. Juliette decided to bring her backpack with her. She loaded it up with a book, her flashlight, her magnifying glass. Nonna gave her a dollar to put in, just in case she wanted to buy something. On the way to daycare we pass by a Dunkin Donuts. Pretty much every day she says “I want Donuts Mommy!” and usually I respond “Not today.” This day I decided to elaborate- I told her I didn’t have any money for donuts. “Let’s go to the bank and get some money” Juliette replied. “No, Juliette, the bank is closed.” She thought about it for a minute. “I have some money in my backpack! I can buy it!” Did I mention that she is only two and a half? Oh, I was so proud, I almost turned around and let her buy herself a donut.

Christmas Eve, we were at Greg’s parents house and it was getting late so I was trying to get Juliette to sleep. She wasn’t really interested in sleeping, however, so my mother-in-law decided to sit with her a few minutes. She explained to Juliette that “You need to go to sleep so Santa can come.”
“It’s OK Mimi, Santa can look at the stars and find my house.”
“Yes, Juliette, but he won’t come if you are awake. You have to be asleep.”
“But I hear you talking downstairs.” Juliette accuses.
“Yes, but Santa doesn’t bring presents for the adults.” Mimi explained. A convincing argument, but it didn’t work; Juliette came downstairs for the rest of the evening.

Ahh, my daughter, smart and charming. Even when she is being obnoxious. As I was rocking Cosette to sleep Tuesday night, Greg was changing Juliette. I heard him ask “Juliette, did you just fart?”.
“Yes I am farting daddy.” Giggles. “You bastard.”

No comments: