Saturday, January 07, 2006

Delusional.

Greg is hosting a poker game tonight, so the girls and I have been banned from the lower level of our house. Who wants to hang out with those stupid boys, anyway?

So the three of us are hanging out in the playroom. Dragon Tales is on TV, Juliette and Cosette are quietly playing. I am reading a book. Yes, that is right- an actual book, while watching the girls. I am one paragraph in to the first page and I think to myself that it is really nice to be at a point where the girls can entertain themselves, and although I can't leave them, at least I can do my own thing when I am watching them. It is true that I have piles of laundry to sort and bags of Chrismas toys to be organized, but you can't work all the time. I am excited to read an actual book- not just flip through a magazine. I am the picture of contentment.

Then Juliette walks over to see what I am reading, and tries to flip the pages to look for the pictures.

Then Cosette reaches over- she is sitting next to me- and tries to grab the book as well, and I happen to notice that she is chewing on something. Ahh, great, a magnetic letter D. Can anyone say "choking hazard"?

I explain to Juliette that mommy's book doesn't have any pictures, so she wanders away. I remove the letter from Cosette's mouth. She barely protests because her attention has been caught by the fact that Juliette is now smashing the TV gaurd- which Cosette easily removed from the TV- into her Little Tykes Tool Bench and tools are flying everywhere. They might be plastic, but they are still little missiles. I yell at her to stop. Then I get a good whiff of Juliette's butt. Attention is required.

Sigh. I put down the book. No need to mark the page. I am on page 2.

We'll get there eventually.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I wish I hadn't gone back to NYC earlier today - I would've helped keep the little ladies entertained. Next time call me woman! And, really, pick a weekend night in January & I'm there while you & Greg go out...or you sneak away to read! I am serious.

Anonymous said...

i, too, can be on book duty. it's about time the queen of reading got herself lost in a good book. even if you only get to page 4, after falling asleep from exhaustion from the modified ferbization implementation. your blog is awesome... and so are you. remember, i am always here to help, anytime.