Thursday, September 07, 2006

Ready for Round 2?

For the first time in many years we did not go to Stew's Island for Labor Day weekend, due to the potential inclement weather. As it turned out, Saturday was rainy and windy but Sunday and Monday were quite nice; however I spent most of the weekend indoors. All because I didn't want to stray too far from the bathroom.

More precisely, I didn't want Juliette to stray too far from the bathroom. Yep, given the three day weekend, Greg and I decided that it was-once again- about time to get Juliette out of the pull ups once and for all. Despite what Vicki Iovine says ("They all learn to use the potty before Kindergarten") I really think that if I don't start putting some serious effort into potty training Juliette she will be walking to get her high school diploma in a pair of Depends. Coincidently, the Mommy Times this week had an article about potty training, and our weekly daycare newsletter was also about potty training and a coworker of mine was telling me how her 2 year old daughter was sitting on the potty watching Potty Power and just happened to poop. Everywhere I turn I hear about potty training. So I figured it was about time to give it a go, so to speak, again.

I decided to take a different approach this time around. First, I stopped at the arts and crafts store and bought a whole variety of stickers. Then, I took out a jumbo piece of drawing paper, and while Juliette observed, I put a 5 X 4 grid on, titled "Juliette's Potty Cart". Then I explained that everytime she peed on the potty she would get one sticker for one square, and if she pooped she would get two stickers for two squares. The prize for filling the chart was a trip to the bookstore where she could get a new book- a prize which I am proud to say she came up with herself.

I am happy to report that she has filled the first chart and we are on to Potty Chart #2. There have been a few accidents but there are no penalties for accidents. It's all about positive reinforcement. We went to the bookstore yesterday where she convinced me to buy her not one but three books, and Nonna bought her one more. The prize for Potty Chart #2 is a Buzz Lightyear doll (more on that in another post).

However, she has yet to earn two stickers. So, although she is doing quite well at #1, and so far we havn't had any nightime bedwetting incidents (in fact, I am quite amazed at the bladder control Juliette exhibits- she can be awake for an hour in the morning before she finally uses the potty), I despair that she will ever poop anywhere but in her pants. And if I am being completely honest, although I am painting this weekend as a success, I knew she would get back into peeing on the potty with no problem; my true goal was to get her to poop there as well. And therefore, I have completely and miserably failed. Someone told me I have to retrain myself in order to retrain Juliette, but I am confused as to what that means exactly. I've read guides and books and bulletin boards and watched videos but at the end of the day, I think it is up to Juliette. What can I do to help make Juliette do #2? What can I do?

Anyway, when I dropped her off at daycare Tuesday I explained to her teacher about our potty progress. Dawn replied "Good, she has been ready for awhile." This made me feel bad. No one told me! Then I asked her to please just throw out any poopy underwear because I did not want to have to clean it, and her reply was "Yes, some parents say that and some parents need it back. Sometimes we get it mixed up and the parents give us a hard time about it." Strangely enough this made me feel better. Other people go through this! Mine isn't the only child who refuses to poopy on the potty! I am not alone!

Cosette thinks it all very exciting. Every time we run to the potty, Cosette follows. She likes to get some toilet paper and throw it into the toilet after Juliette does, just for good measure. Sometimes she doesn't wait for Juliette to finish, and once this resulted in a messy Cosette and a lot of hand washing. Sometimes this irritates the heck out of Juliette, but I like to encourage it. It'll make it that much easier when it's Cosette's turn.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Kim Tracy Prince said...

That shit is crazy.

Kelli said...

I was wondering if you guys got to Stew's island this summer...you're right though - that's not exactly the place to be potty training anyone!
I think the chart idea is a great one & hopefully Juliette starts filling it up with 2 stickers soon!
Good luck!