Thursday, September 06, 2007

Nobody doesn't like Taco Bell.

There is one good thing that has come out of our new school year schedule. Before I elaborate, let me give you some background.

Juliette is in pre-K this year, and to really benefit from the curriculum needs to attend at least three mornings a week.

Our nanny is back in school part time, but wanted to continue to work for us part time as well. However, in order to pay her bills, she needed a certain minimum number of hours per week.

The arrangement that we came to was that the girls would go to day care two and a half days, and stay with the nanny two and a half days. On that half day, the nanny picks them up at daycare after lunch and stays with them until 8 pm.

See that? That last thing I wrote right there? The “8 pm” part. That is the good thing.

Yesterday, all day long, I was thinking about the fact that I had until 8 pm all to myself. To do whatever I wanted. By myself! It was like being single again… but in the best possible way, because I still had my family to go home to!

I made so many plans. Sign up at the gym near our new house. Order window treatments for the bedrooms. Look at custom curtains for the other rooms. Get a manicure and pedicure. Get a cup of coffee at Starbucks and sit in one of those comfy looking chairs (who ever has time to sit and drink their coffee?) reading my current book.

So at 5:20 I wandered out of work. And that was my first mistake right there. When one is faced with several precious hours of ‘me’ time, one does not “wander” out of work, nor does one do so at twenty whole minutes past the hour. Because it turns out that those extra two hours are really not that many, and it is quite impossible to fulfill a task list as long as the one I made for myself.

My first dilemma, as I got into my car and started driving, was what to do first. Mani/pedi? Window treatments? I quickly ruled out getting my new gym membership. There was barely enough time, and I didn’t want to rush through a workout. I decided to get the chores over with so that I could fully enjoy the relaxing pedicure. So, off to Lowe’s. After a quick detour to check out the bathroom vanities- didn’t like any of them- I walked over to the window treatment section and sat down with some sample books in hand. The advantage to having just finished our first house remodel is that these types of chores are all old hat now. Also, the fact that I sat at that table for 40 minutes before anyone even asked if I need help came as no surprise. It was still irritating, though, so after writing down the ordering info for the chosen products, I walked out. I can look on-line, or go to Home Depot, but the reality is that I’ll probably go back another day. I rationalized by telling myself that it is better to wait a day or two before making these purchases, anyway, because even though I am not going for anything far out design or color wise, these are long term commitments.

Holy cow, it is 6:20 already! This sparks an internal debate. I don’t think I have time for both a manicure and a pedicure if I am going to be home in time to put the girls in bed, as promised. Mani? Or pedi? Typically I don’t even bother with a manicure; they are so hard to keep up. But since I got one for a wedding a few weeks ago my nails have been looking long and pretty, so I’ve been going once a week. This is week three, and they are due. But a pedicure is so much more relaxing, and harder to find time for… so pedicure it is. Besides, at least I can still get some pleasure reading done while I get my pedicure. But…as I drive up to the chosen nail salon, I notice that it closes at 7. It is 6:27. That is not enough time for a pedicure! I make a quick circle and drive down to my second favorite nail salon. They too close at seven. Damn. I should have gotten the pedicure first. I drive back to the first salon, park, and enter. There is one other person there, and the seven women on duty all look up at me and three of them chime, in unison, “may I help you?”

I pick my color and sit down at the indicated station. The tock clicks. The other customer leaves and it is me and the seven manicurists. They are chatting in Korean. They start cleaning; rustling sterilization bags, emptying out trash, throwing in laundry, and vacuuming. I try to ignore the commotion and relax as Sue massages my hands. She apologizes, saying “I don’t mind but my colleagues all want to leave at seven.” She looks embarrassed as one of the women hands her a nicely folded wad of bills. It’s origami with money! That makes me wonder how much they get paid, clearly under the table, and I know it is probably not enough that they really want to stay late, but still, it isn’t seven yet so I don’t feel too guilty. Just a bit annoyed. Plus, why are they all waiting around? All the extraneous manicurists can leave. My nails aren’t that bad. I don’t need two. I am having a hard time relaxing my fingers, and Sue keeps shaking my hand to get me to stop holding them so stiffly.

Finally, she paints the last nail. I give her a nice tip because despite the peer pressure, she really did a thorough job. As I sit with my hands in the dryer, the ladies all start to walk out. One by one they walk by, nod at me and smile “Good night!”, and I smile back. I notice that they are all getting into one big van, which explains why they were all hanging around, but I am determined to keep my hands still until Sue is walking out the door.

Finally, we all leave together. Six women in one van, and one woman waiting at the bus stop, and me with my barely dry nails in my SUV. It is 7:10. I am hungry. I know the girls have eaten- they made their own pizzas with the nanny. I know Greg is working at the new house and he has probably already eaten as well, so I decide to stop for a quick bite. I crave Taco Bell, but I should be healthy, so I decide to drive towards taco bell, but resolve to stop if I see a good deli on the way. But, oh what a shame, the deli is closed. Taco Bell it is.

It is an interesting crowd of people at Taco Bell, but I am just happy to be in a place where the employees are all resigned to several more hours of work, and in no rush to push me out the door. I enjoy my cheesy gordita crunch and nachos belle grande. I smile at the young boy who, after receiving change for a dollar after buying extra sour cream declares “I’m rich!” He makes me think of my girls, and all of a sudden I’m not upset about how fast the two hours went by- because now, I miss my girls.

One more nacho and I’m out. Window treatments not ordered. Pedicure not obtained. Taco craving fulfilled. Now I need a smile and a hug from my girls.

It seemed like so much time- but apparently I have to learn to plan better. Realistic expectations. Like a new mother with a baby, I have to set small goals for my daily tasks.

And always get the pedicure first.