This summer for the first time I will be working full time... as a Mom. I am very excited, and a little bit nervous, and after only 2 days slightly worn out. Excited because I will have so much fun with my girls! Nervous because I have to keep them occupied 24/7 and I'm not sure how creative I can be with planning summer fun. Worn out because it is the most demanding and exhausting job I have ever had. Ever.
This morning was a little overcast and I decided to do some baking- we had some overripe bananas that I wanted to use for either cookies or bread. However, the girls vetoed the banana recipes and instead decided to make the Playful Dough Cookies from our very old Better Homes and Gardens Cookies for Kids cookbook.
This is one of our favorite cookbooks, because it has great pictures of everything and the recipes are all fun, and spelled out step by step so it is easy to follow. We have decided that we will try different recipes each time, but I can see that this one will be a favorite. It is edible playdough! They can eat the dough because there are no eggs, and then bake it into cookies- which are OK, nothing special. The point is the making, not the eating, though.
And then afterwards, we made Wacky Banana Cake, too; from my Betty Crocker Baking cookbook. It is wacky because you mix everything together in the pan.Cosette refused to use her hands, and then decided to dance instead when "Getcha Head in the Game" came on. ("It's TROY!" she squealed with excitement.)
Playful Dough Cookies
1/3 Cup Sugar
- Turn oven on to 300d. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter or margarine with electric mixer on medium speed til softened (About 30 seconds). Add sugar and beat til the mixture is fluffy.
- Beat in almond extract. (we used vanilla because we didn't have almond, and it was all good!)
- With mixer on low speed gradually add flour, beating til mixture resembles course crumbs. Divide mixture into several parts, depending on how many different colors you want.
- Add food coloring to each part, kneading with your hands until the dough is smooth. Form the dough into shapes that are 3/4 inch thick. Place cookies about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in the 300d oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till the edges are firm but the bottoms are not brown. Cool on a cooling rack
- Makes about 2 cups of dough.
2 comments:
I have (or had) some fun kids books-- one was called Kids Create, I think I still have it, chock full of fun activities and projects....then I used to have a copy of a fun cookbook to make things like oobleck and play dough...that one I gave to mom!
I think we should have some playdates! We have a sprinkler, and a little pool, and a park not too far, and a McDonald's and a picnic table outside and lots of fun toys! You should come play at our house and WE will come play at your pool club! :)
PS- I want the Wacky banana recipe! I have bananas that I need to use too and I was going to make banana bread but I'm a little sick of it!
Post a Comment