I am addicted to reality TV.
My husband thought that after the season finales of "American Idol" (I couldn't stick to my vow to boycott the show after Constantine was kicked off) "The Apprentice", and "America's Next Top Model", he would have a summer respite from reality TV. He was mistaken. This week I discovered "Dancing With the Stars" and am looking forward to the new show, "So You Think You Can Dance?". I was a ballet dancer for many many years, so I am particularly excited about these two new shows, since I feel that when I criticize the contestants I can do so with some expertise.
Greg has put up with a lot- even my infatuation with the aforementioned Constantine. I keep explaining that it's not like I like the guy, it is just that he was a lot of fun to watch. Especially in the first few weeks after Cosette was born when my sleep-deprived attention span was about 2 minutes long. But Greg doesn't get it. He commented one day that he doesn't understand why someone with a Ph.D. from Yale could be so taken in by these idiotic reality TV shows. I have decided that it is precisely because they are so idiotic, so un-real, so far removed from my reality, that I can get entertainment from them. Who would want to watch a show that mimics their own life? I get enough of that every day, I want something different when looking for a diversion. Then I get to fantasize: if I could sing, I would totally win American Idol. If I applied, I would totally win the Apprentice. Unless I had to sell stuff, or market stuff, or manage stupid lazy team-mates. A reality show about working full time and raising two kids- now, that, I would definitely qualify for; but I am pretty sure I wouldn't win. I'm not saying I don't manage- I'm just saying it isn't pretty all the time. Besides, how would someone "win"? There will certainly not be any voting or judging here. See me in 20 or 30 years and we'll have a better idea of how successful I was!
No comments:
Post a Comment