Thursday, July 21, 2005

I Love You Too Much

I was sitting in Cosette's dark room last night. Juliette was asleep, and Cosette was eating her last meal before bed. I was holding her in my arms; the room was dark except for the soft glow of the nightlight. Everything was quiet except for the "ocean waves" playing on the white noise machine in Cosette's crib. I gently rocked back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, and listened to the sounds of Cosette eating: her swallowing, the soft sounds of her breath, and an occasional soft "coo".

Could life be any better?

Then I was struck with a pang of regret, because I really love these times with Cosette- but I barely remember Juliette at this age. Did I appreciate her as a baby? I really don't think so. I was so tired, frustrated and confused all the time and I just kept looking forward to when things might get easier. Now I realize that things probably don't get easier- they just become challenging in a different way. Just a few weeks ago I was regretting that she was becoming so independent, and I didn't get much quality cuddle time with her. So now that she wants to cuddle all the time, I should look at it as a blessing, right? She's clinging because she needs me. When I'm tucking Juliette in at night and she tells me "Momma I love you too much" I laugh and correct her: "I love you so much- not too much. Never too much, Juliette!" But maybe she is right- just a little bit. Sometimes I feel that her love for me is so big that it burdens me with an overwhelming responsibility, to live up to that love. Can I do it? Do I have what it takes? All I know is this: I must be doing something right to deserve such love and trust from this beautiful, innocent, wonderous miracle- my daughter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the sweetest things I have ever read.

As I've said before, I know Juliette & Cosette will read through all of your posts with such pride, curiousity, and TOO MUCH LOVE when they're older. They're lucky little girls.

Kim Tracy Prince said...

i'm totally crying. and i JUST put makeup on. Rats.

Anonymous said...

I'm crying TOO!

Anonymous said...

you live up to that love simply by being you. this i know to be true.