After dinner last night, we all went for a walk, as we have become accustomed to do. We give Juliette the choice to go to the playground, or down to the beach to throw rocks in the water- an activity Juliette seems to love. Last night we didn't ask- we just started walking and let Juliette direct our footsteps. At every intersection she pointed us in the direction she wanted to go- and she lead us straight to the park. My first reaction was pride at how smart she is. My second reaction was fear: I began to imagine her getting out of the house (escaping) and deciding to walk to the playground all by herself, with all the accompanying perils, resulting in- of course- my incarceration for negligence.
Anyway, after we had played for a while, I was trying to convince her to start walking home. She refused to ride on her dad's shoulders, but she was dawdling at the park entrance. So I asked, "Are you tired?" to which she replied "I feel better when I eat popsicle".
"Is that so?"
"Yeah, mommy. Something special."
What could I do? When we got home, I gave her a popsicle.
No comments:
Post a Comment