I was sitting in Cosette's room, nursing her, when I overheard the following conversation between Greg and Juliette. Juliette was trying to convince her father to give her a piece of candy. Greg, ever the salesman, was trying to train his daughter on Salesmanship 101:
"Why do you want the candy, Juliette?" asks Greg.
"Please, daddy."
"That's very nice Juliette, but I want you to tell my why I should give you candy."
"I need it."
"You do? Explain to me why you need the candy. I really shouldn't give you any candy, and I want you to tell my why I should give it to you. Break it down for me, Juliette. Convince me to give you the candy. "
Juliette is clearly a little confused, so Greg explains: "First you have to say why, and then you say please."
I can almost hear Juliette's thought process, as she is quiet and thinks for a minute. Finally she pipes up:
"Why." Pause. "Please."
After Greg and I stopped laughing, he went and got her a piece of candy.
2 comments:
Thanks for making me laugh! Ah, the beauty of the simplicity and logic of a child! How can you not love it?!?
Tina, I would love to meet your daughters. You are a terrific writer and I'm getting a kick out of your posts when I get the time to read them.
We'll be visiting Kim and Kyle for Holloween - yay!, trick or treating in California!
Post a Comment