Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Great Potty Training Epic, Day 5. OR... Taking Aim.

I am happy to report that we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank goodness, because my washing machine broke down.

Yesterday, Juliette had two accidents. Big "BM"s; these are still our bane. But...sometimes, when I ask her if she has to go potty, she says "Yes". And sometimes, she tells me that she has to go. And then she actually does. Which has brought to my attention a small issue. Just add it to the list. Greg was a little concerned as well, mostly because he didn't really understand how such a thing could happen. The problem is this: Juliette has, well, she has bad aim. Yes, I am talking about my daughter. No, this is not an issue that you ever really think will come up when you have girls, but as with so many other things I have now been proven wrong.

I think the problem is that she is still so excited at the idea of going on the potty that she always wants to watch as she does it. To see, she has to lean kind of far back and hunch over a little, as a result of which her little stream of pee usually arches up and over the toilet seat. It doesn't get very far- but it still does leave a bit of a mess.

Still, it's better then all that dirty underwear. This, my friends, is how we measure progress. Instead of cleaning pee from her clothing, I am cleaning it from the floor around the potty. Is it no wonder that I never really feel clean myself?

4 comments:

Becky said...

Tina,

Get a little stool that she can prop her feet up on while she is sitting down. It might not help with the aim, but it will make her more comfortable when she sits there. A PT told me this...it helps girls have a better sitting position and requires that they balance less. Good job so far though!

Anonymous said...

There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel. It's a positive thing (?) that she finds it fascinating - maybe it will make her more likely to go there than in her pants. Small consolation I know...

Anonymous said...

Ooops, that was me. I forgot to sign. Vanessa

Kelli said...

I love reading the daily updates. Sounds like you're making progress no matter how slow it may seem at the time. And just think, by the time you needs to Potty Train Cosette, you'll be a pro!