Tuesday, February 07, 2006

What were they thinking?

With all apologies to The Reign of Ellen, I just couldn't sit back and let this little piece of news pass without bringing it to the front and center of my own blog.

In general, although I might have my opinion about other people's child-rearing methods, I usually keep them to myself. Hey, to each their own; what works for me might not work for you. BUT the one thing that I will not be silent about is when I see someone obviously putting their child in danger. I remember an incident that occured a couple of months ago when a mother reported to work her shift at a local supermarket and left her 8 year old and 10 month old children in the car. In the winter. Alone. They were there for five hours before someone noticed and reported it. When I proclaimed my disgust, someone I know defended her, saying "If she has to work, what else is she supposed to do?" I do have sympathy for a mother who is left with so few options, but still... leaving them in the car is not the right course of action. Children have died that way.

I've noticed that it is not just the general public that do this. Remember Michael Jackson and the balcony incident, or the Crocodile Hunter and the bait the hungry crocodile with your helpless chubby infant incident? Well, add Britney Spears to the list of irresponsible celebrity parents. Celebrities might think they are above the law, but do they think their children are invincible, too?

No comments: