Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I remember.

This time two years ago, Juliette was finally sleeping through the night in her own room, the first phase of our house renovation was complete, and I was well rested, slim, and happy.

That is when I decided it was a good time to have another baby.

History does NOT repeat itself, but I was just thinking of how much things have changed over the past few years.

I remember when I had time to spend a whole day cleaning and cooking and folding laundry and then I would drop into bed exhausted but with a sense of accomplishment. I still drop into bed exhausted, but usually I am thinking of all the things on the to-do list that have to push back another day. This used to stress me, but I'm getting over it. And who would ever think that you would miss those kind of days, anyway?

I remember leisurely summer weekends when Greg and I would spend the whole day on the boat, lounging in the sun, swimming in the ocean, and chatting about nothing with our friends. He sold the boat after it sat in dry dock for 2 summers in a row. (Then he bought the Porsche.)

I remember when I had friends. Friends of my own age, that is. Last night as I was cuddling with Juliette she put her arm around my shoulders, behind my neck, and said "mommy, we are friends. You are my best friend."

What more could I want?

2 comments:

Odd Mix said...

Juliette sounds like a wonderful best friend.

Kelli said...

awww. that is so sweet. I just sent my Mom a card about how she was my best friend.
I hope you & Juliette (& Cosette!) are always able to be the bestest of friends.