Juliette and Cosette are alike in a lot of ways. For example, they both love when I read books to them. But Juliette likes to read different books every night. Cosette, despite my best attempts, likes the same three. Over and over and over again. I don’t even need the books anymore; I can shut my eyes and visualize every page. I can’t remember what the date is, I have to calculate back to the day I was born when someone asks me my age, and I havn’t come up with a new idea at work in ages; but I can reproduce “Pat the Bunny” for you with perfect accuracy. Really. I’ll prove it.
Here is a sample transcript of me reading “Pat the Bunny” to Cosette.
“Here are Paul and Judy. They can do lots of… Oh, OK, turn the page. Judy can pat the bunny, now you pat the bunny… or lick it, that’s OK too Cosette. Play peekaboo… peekaboo… peekaboo... with Paul now Paul can smell the flowers, you smell… or lick them, that’s OK too Cosette. Look in the mirror. Or lick it, that’s OK too Cosette. Feel Daddy’s scratchy face. Scratchy, yes, that’s scratchy. Read Judy’s book. No, don’t rip it, look bunny is sleeping. Now put your finger though Mummy’s ring… that’s all , Bye Bye can you say bye bye? Or lick it, that’s OK too Cosette.”
It’s all OK. The funny thing is that each time she licks a page, she looks up at me for approval. And I keep telling her it is OK. I don’t know why. This is the kind of positive affirmation that leads to the sand eating (which, by the way, goes in as sand and comes out as… sand, and isn’t fun to clean in either direction); the snot eating (how do you get a three year old to stop picking her nose and eating it?); and the crayon chewing. (Yum, wax. And so pretty, too. Interestingly enough, all crayons- no matter what color they were when they went in- seem to come out green.)
I know a few of Juliette’s book pretty well, too, although her library is quite large and so I don’t know many of the books verbatim. It’s funny how different stories are humorous at different times; I’ve found “Knuffle Bunny” and “The New Potty” roll- on- the- floor funny when read in the appropriate mood. I hate reading Dora books even more then I hate listening to Dora, who doesn’t seem to know what an inside voice is. And although I love Dr. Seuss, there are some nights that have a really difficult time getting through the tongue-twisters like those found in "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish."
The worst part is that after reading all these children’s books, I have the attention span of a two year old and the last thing I read for pleasure was People magazine. Or was it Entertainment Weekly, which somehow started appearing in my mailbox a few weeks ago? Ah well, at least I get to read about all the movies that I don't have time to go see. And, reading about the crazy celebrity moms makes me happy for our relatively mundane existence. Maybe now that the TV viewing season is over, I can find some time to read some more. Or maybe I'll start working out again. Or maybe I'll just get some sleep.
2 comments:
P.S. I went to the gym last night, but it was at a cost. Stewart put Kyle to bed, but he didn't replace the bag in the Diaper Champ, so he left a stinking poopy diaper just hanging out in the room. With the windows closed. And it was HOT yesterday. So, I had to go into the room while Kyle was sleeping, at which point I almost sprained my ankle because Stewart had also neglected to clean up the toys before bedtime so I tripped over a Shape Sorter Peek-a-Blocks thingy. At least Kyle didn't wake up. Meanwhile, the kitchen was still a mess and I still had to make dinner for tonight. Which I did, but I forgot all about it this morning and instead of putting it in the crock pot and turning it on, I left it in the refrigerator.
is it worth it? My zen from yoga and running on the treadmill was GONE by the time I collapsed into bed at 11:30.
OK, I was going to vote for sleep, then I read Kim's comment and now I DEFINITELY vote for sleep! Although I'll tell you that children's literature gets way more interesting, and pretty soon you'll miss the days when you actually knew what they were reading! But I'll still look into getting them more books! :)
Post a Comment