I was looking through my list of posts, re-categorizing some of my labels, when I found this post dated 8/30/06; for some reason I never published it, but it brings back some happy memories and it is fun to look back on. Juliette was 3 1/2 and Cosette was 18 months old when I wrote it.
This morning, I called Greg to come down and occupy the girls while I showered and dressed in peaceful solitude. After I was dressed I called out to the girls to come upstairs to get dressed, and a few seconds later I heard the gate at the bottom of the stairs rattling. I go to the top of the stairs and I see both girls looking up for me, rattling the gate and smiling. Juliette exclaims "Mommy mommy mommy!" and then Cosette chimes in, clear as a bell, "Mommy!" I smile, I am so happy to hear her call me so clearly, and she smiles back and says it again "Mommy! Mommy!" I respond "Yes that's me, Cosette!" and she repeats it again. She has such a happy proud look on her face, it makes me smile even to remember it. She gets it!
It is funny how different the two girls are. Juliette said "daddy" first; Cosette got "Mommy." (Ha!) Juliette said no to everything- even when she clearly meant yes. But Cosette understands the difference- she says "ya" or even nods her head in the affirmative and barely ever says no. However, overall Juliette knew more words at this age then Cosette currently does, although sometimes I am surprised at how much Cosette understands. If you ask her to share a cracker, she hands one to Juliette (even though it is true that sometimes she takes the one she is chewing on out of her mouth and passes that along to her sister). If you ask her where her shoes are, she'll wander off and return a minute later shoes in hand. She even put her plate and fork in the dishwasher when she finished her breakfast yesterday! And, maybe this is wishful thinking, but although Juliette is turning out to be quite the tomboy, Cosette is more of a girly girl. And, she walks on her tiptoes all the time lately, and as soon as music comes on she starts dancing to it; maybe one of my daughters will be a ballerina like their mother!
Ahh, time flies. Cosette just transitioned into the toddler room; I am officially no longer the parent of an infant. Phew!
No comments:
Post a Comment