I just read through Juliette' pre-K COR assessment. There was nothing suprising; her strenghts are her helpful nature, her kindergarten readiness, math and logic, and her coordination. The areas that need some work are her writing, and her shyness. She writes often- she loves to give me pages and pages of writing- and she spells out quite a few words, but she still gets a lot of her letters backwards. And her shyness... well, that is something that is developing as she gets older.
Every morning when I drop her off I have to extricate myself from her grip. I blame myself a little bit. I think part of the problem is that she hasn't made any close friendships at daycare, and if I had just put a little more effort into setting up playdates, maybe she would have. We go to birthday parties frequently, and she won't leave my- or Greg's- side. I worry that her tomboy nature makes things difficult. I'm sure I've blogged about this before. She wants to be one of the boys... but she is quiet and gentle, quite unlike a typical five year old boy. Where does she get that from? Is it because Greg rewards her tomboyish behavior above all else and she yearns for his approval? It's certainly not because she gains approval from me... I encourage her more feminine side and she rails against it, exhibiting contrary behavior.
Did I just describe a typical 15 year old? But Juliette is only 5!
I worry that the transition to kindergarten is going to be tough. The teachers have gently commented that Juliette might have an especially difficult time of it. I'm trying to come up with ways to ease her in; signing her up for a two week summer 'camp' at the kindergarten; signing her up for a one week soccer camp... helping her to meet those kids that she will be in school with from now until, well, hopefully, graduation. But still... I worry.
Sigh.
She tries to act so tough, but inside... inside she is a gentle, caring, loving, five year old little girl.
5 comments:
She is a little sweetie pie, even though she rolls with the boys.... I think her Kindergarten teacher will notice that about her right away. And if she doesn't then you are Juliette's best advocate!
As far as making her ready for Kindergarten--I think the things you said are good ideas. It's not too late for play dates either... It's also a good idea (and I have parents that do this with their third graders) to bring Juliette to the school a few times. Let her walk around a bit and explore. Show her the Kindergarten classrooms and talk about how COOL it will be to be at school and how exciting! You can even tell her some of the things she'll be learning--how to read and write, fun art projects, PE and music.... that way by the time she goes for her Kindergarten orientation the building will be a bit more familiar and comfortable and she will be a bit of an "expert" in her classroom. It might ease her shyness a bit.... And when she hangs out with her friends, at parties and such.... encourage her to play with her friends and not stick to you like glue....That sounds easier than it is I know but she can give you hugs and visit with you but model for her how to walk over to someone and ask "do you want to play so and so" Hang around for a bit while they get started and then quietly walk away to let them play...if she wanders over repeat that, or encourage her to ask a friend to play if she is ready....
oooooo, the teacher came out in me. Too much advice??? Sorry!!!!
She hasn't even started school yet!
Making future plans is good though.
Juliette,is a bright,warm,loving easygoing child & I'm sure she will make friends once she is accustomed to the school.Remember everyone there is starting new & everyone will be nervous & shy for the first few days.
(Maybe you can remind her of this)
Anyway I have no doubts that she will be fine.
nonna
Tina,
You worry like I did. Be patient. The reality is that Juliette is going to be just what she is meant to be. School is a big transition for the whole family. With your help and support she will do very well. Lisa makes some very good suggestions.
Summer should be a fun time for you all. September is a long way away and Juliette has lots of time to grow a little more.
I remember your Mom and I had a lot of conversations about pretty much the same things around, let's see, 22 years ago.
Things ended up working out pretty well as I recall.
I think the very fact that you're aware of all of this and paying attention is a huge, important step.
I can't speak from a Mom's perspective but I remember being quite the shy one as a little girl...until I felt comfortable in whatever setting I was in, then I opened up (In fact, I guess I still kind of work that way now as an adult.)
I think your plans for soccer camp, etc. this summer are great.
Oh and a HAPPY (slightly belated) Mother's Day to you!
Post a Comment