Then I turned on the TV.
The rest of the day is a chaotic blur that ended in the dark of night when Greg finally made it back home. At one point, stranded in Lower Manhattan, he suggested I go get his boat and come get him that way. As it turns out, he did evacuate Manhattan by boat- as did hundreds of others, and then he was stranded in New Jersey. Fortunately, we have a cousin who lives in New Jersey. Michael found Greg- no easy feat amidst all the chaos and spotty phone service- and drove him all the way back home- no easy feat given the fact that so many bridges were closed and everyone was trying to get out of New York. And that is one of my clearest memories of september eleventh. My cousin, coming to Greg's rescue. Amidst all the worry, fear, confusion, anger and hurt...there was love, kindness, and caring- family and friends- coming together.

Three days later, Greg and I got married. A third of our wedding party were absent- unable to fly in in time, as were a few of our guests. Someone put some flags into our centerpieces. But other then that, it was a beautiful wonderful day and I think we were all grateful to have a reason to celebrate.
2 comments:
Wow, I just got chills. That is a crazy picture of Greg. I am so glad you were both okay & a cousin came to the resuce on that sad day.
I am crying. What a beautiful way to remember a tragic day. And you were right, we were all happy to have a reason to celebrate. And thankful that Greg was OK
Post a Comment