Saturday, July 07, 2007

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Ok. So, the big news in town is that Indiana Jones 4 has been filming here, with good old Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, and for the younger crowd, Shia Labeouf roaming the streets. Several downtown streets have been closed to traffic, and if you happen to walk downtown at the right time you might see some actual filming. At the least you'll see the New Haven green surrounded by old cars, and Chapel street in New Haven redecorated to look like a street from the 50's. It's surreal, actually; the absence of traffic, parking meters, and, well, dirt, makes you feel like you are at Disney World. I took photos with my trusty old cell phone camera (it's about time I put that to use). Click on the thumbnail if you care to enlarge.

Here, a women's boutique has been turned into a music store:

823104-904853-thumbnail.jpg
What were they listening to back then, anyway?

And another boutique has been turned into a women's fashion shop.

823104-904856-thumbnail.jpg
Nice plaid!

Starbucks has been turned into a tavern (look at the front vs. the side of the building).

823104-904855-thumbnail.jpg
If only Starbucks served Guiness!

And the fashions in the bridal boutique are looking a bit outdated, but it's good to know that there is bomb shelter near by, one less thing for a busy bride to worry about!

823104-904854-thumbnail.jpg
It's a classic.

And here's a blast from the past; the Woolworth's window really was all decked out with all sorts of old chochkies and appliances.

823104-904857-thumbnail.jpg
Check out the bicycles, too.

I wandered into town a few times, hoping to catch sight of some of the action, a little bit jealous of all the extras (until I saw them standing around in wool sweaters in the 90 degree heat!). I was really interested in watching the filming- seeing someone famous would have been a bonus, to be sure, but I really wanted to see the action. Which was difficult, from the side roads and alleyways that we were confined to during shooting. In fact, I took these photos shortly after they reopened the street, after filming some of the motorcycle crashing through the gate scene. Unfortunately, it was a stunt double, not Harrison Ford, that I saw on the motorcycle. Turns out Harrison Ford was clear across campus filming some classroom scenes that day, probably right down the hall from Kim's mom's office, who unfortunately couldn't get me in to see it. Anyway, that is why the streets are so congested. There isn't often that many people walking down the road in the middle of the summer!

So, the fourth of July comes, and my mom calls to say that she and my dad want to go down to New Haven to see the scenery. Now, having been there almost every day, I inform her that they were dismantling everything when I was walking down the street tuesday, so I doubt there is much left so see. They decide to go anyway.

A few hours later, the phone rings. It's my mom. She wants to tell me about what they saw. Some of the set was still in place, so they enjoyed a short stroll and then decided to have lunch at one of the local Thai restaurants. It's a small, crowded restaurant, but there are a few empty table. So a little while later they are sitting and eating their meal, when a family of three comes in and is seated at the table next to them. My mom glances up and thinks, "that guy looks familiar." And she looks again and realizes it is Harrison Ford! And Calista Flockhart! And her son!

Mom tells me she could have knocked him unconscious if she had swung her plaster-cast encased arm around, that's how close they were. Dad's take on the situation? "He is old and she is none too good looking."

Well, apparently costume and make-up really helps, because apparently Harrison (yes, we are on a first name basis, now. After all, he (practically) ate lunch with my mother) looks quite good in his Indiana Jones getup. I wouldn't know, though. I guess I'll have to wait for the movie.