Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Love is in the air.

Greg commented to me yesterday about how smart Juliette is, and how much fun it is to have a conversation with her. She does that now- she has real conversations with you. She will answer questions, put forth opinions, and converse with you in a quite intelligent fashion. The conversations aren't always based in reality, though. A few days ago we were talking about how big Giants are, so big that they can't live in houses but have to live in caves instead. It was a very serious conversation, and I think it stems from a talk I had with her months ago when, as she was falling asleep, she exclaimed "Mommy, there are giants in the house! Get them out!" and I responded by telling her that there couldn't possibly be any giants in the house because giants wouldn't fit in the house, but if they tried to come in Lucy would bark and then Daddy would tell them to go away. This answer was apparently quite satisfactory because not only did she go to sleep without further complaint after that, but she seems to have thought it through even more, so that we discussed giants and their mommies and their dogs and where they live.

It's amazing the difference. I've said it before, I'm sure, and I'll say it again... but Juliette is really becoming a little person. She is also developing a real sense of humor. Her favorite joke is this:

"Knock knock"

"Who's there"

"Potato"

"Potato who?"

"Potato I love you!"

Then she giggles while I respond "Potato I love you! That's silly!" It's important to put the correct inflection on this. I have to speak in exclamations, high pitched, with an emphasis on "silly!" Then, of course, I must reiterate: "I love you too!"

One of the advantages of having the girls together at home with the nanny is that they are really bonding. Spending all day together means they play together. Which usually means that Juliette, in true eldest-sibling fashion- bosses Cosette around. For the most part, Cosette puts up with it. In fact, not only does she put up with it, but Cosette- in true youngest-sibling fashion- copies everything Juliette does. Well, as much as she can, but she is, after all, only two. Thus, Cosette's version of the joke is much shorter: "Knock Knock I love you!" Then I'll say "Who's there I love you too!" And then Cosette will grin and put her two little hands around my cheeks, and say "Two kisses mommy, one to three four five six!" and then she'll give me eleven or twelve kisses. Then she'll lick my cheek. "I lick your face mommy!" and the only response to that is "Yuck!"

We are full of love at the Raising Mommy household. Juliette will announce "I love you mother", although it sounds more like "I love you mudder". The appropriate response on my part is "I love you daughter". Cosette then chimes in: "I love you daughter", which sounds more like "Ahh yuv you datter". Clearly, she understands the intent but still doesn't quite grasp some of the finer concepts, such as the mother daughter familial relationship. This misunderstanding becomes quite clear when, in full blown terrible-twos fashion, Cosette decides she wants something RIGHT NOW, and I decide that she can't have it until MUCH LATER- lollipops before breakfast, for example. I win, of course, but Cosette puts up quite a fuss. I remember when Juliette went through this phase, and I take notice that this doesn't really happen with Juliette anymore. When she gets upset, now, she truly can articulate the reason for it. And that makes living with her a lot more pleasant. However, Juliette also doesn't quite understand the mother-daughter relationship, especially when she tries to start bossing me around. However, not only am I the mother, but I am also an oldest sibling... so when it comes to being bossy I win, hands down. Juliette's response to this is to say "But when I am the mother I can do it." Who wants to explain that, despite my rules and my authority, it really is Juliette and Cosette that run the household?

I can't believe how big they are getting- by which I mean, mature, not big, because they are both still quite petite. I love this development, but it makes me think about Juliette's babyhood, and how quickly that went, and how maybe I should have treasured it a little more. So then I treasure the moments with Cosette- even the terrible twos- because I know they won't last long, and there are good memories that I don't want overshadowed by the tantrums.

two%20angels%20rated%20G.jpg