Wednesday, August 22, 2007

That's my girl.

We were sitting in Juliette's dark room, cuddling in our la-z-boy, chatting inconsequentially about random things, when Juliette asked me: "Mommy, what do whales eat?"

I replied: "Some whales eat fish." I was trying not to get too complicated, so I didn't elaborate further. But Juliette did: "Killer whales eat fish. And they eat seals."

"Yes, that is true."

"Leopard Seals eat penguins."

"I think you are right, Juliette. Leopard seals do eat penguins."

"Penguins live in the north pole."

"Yes, they do live in the north pole."

"It's cold in the north pole."

That was the end of the conversation. I don't know where Juliette's thoughts wandered to after that, but I was sitting with my mouth gaping open, wondering when my daughter got so smart. Honestly, I know where she learned about bits and pieces- we saw whales in Cape Cod, she has seen Go Diego Go episodes in which the penquin was afraid of a leopard seal I think, but the fact that she put all those pieces together just impressed the heck out of me.

My daughter, the genius.

Whale%204.JPG
A humpback whale off of Provincetown. It splashed, jumped, and swam for us, and quite impressed the girls.