I expected my last post to generate quite a few comments, and granted it has only been up for approximately 24 hours, but I am a little shocked at the silence. So, how about this?
Sally Field should keep her mouth shut.
Apparently, her thank you speech at the Emmy's this past weekend was bleeped. I didn't see it, but I've seen all the media hype about it since then. She was saying something to the affect of "If mothers were in charge of the world there would be no god***n war in the first place." and it seems that a good portion of that statement was silenced. She claims that she just wanted to pay homage to the mothers of the world. Who can argue with that sentiment? But although it may have started out that way, by the end it seemed like more of a political statement.
Why does this make me angry? Yes, I do believe in free speech; and no, I don't think the powers that be should bleep her to censor her statements- other then the 'swearing' which was apparently offensive enough to warrant a bleep.
I am not commenting on whether or not I agree with what she said. We'll leave that out of it. (Except to say that I don't. It was a simplistic point of view and it is so easy to make such blanket statements when the truth really lies somewhere in the middle.)
It makes me angry because this is really just a minor example of a larger issue. It really irritates me that celebrities feel that these awards shows are venues for them to express their views on all things unrelated to their actual areas of expertise. First of all, I am not watching the awards show to be lectured, educated, or criticized. I am watching it because I am avoiding these things. Second of all, who do they think they are? Are you that smart? Are you an expert? Why is it that you think that your opinion is so important? And, it's not like anyone can respond. It's a cheap shot, in my view, and I don't want to hear it. Smile, show off that multi thousand dollar dress and say Thank You. And be done with it.
Now? I can never watch Sally Field again. Just like when I heard Cate Blanchett in her arrogant self important interview on NPR many months ago, I am no longer able to separate the person from the character. And that just plain stinks. For both of us.
And please... feel free to respond.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your comments on the original post. Comments have now been turned off.