Friday, September 21, 2007

Looking forward to stage seven.

We have two parties to go to tomorrow, then a baby shower Sunday for brunch, and a show Sunday night (So You Think You Can Dance tour). In between all that I have to clean the house because we have a second showing Saturday at 1:30. This should be a cause for celebration (it’s our first call back!) but jeez, why this weekend?We had given up on selling the house, and are almost literally moments away from signing a lease agreement with a respectable prospective tenant. I didn't think it mattered anymore, so the house is in complete disarray. Then there is the new house. The floor guys will apply the last coat of polyurethane at the new house Monday. The painters will be working furiously to finish all the painting on Tuesday. The house cleaners are coming Wednesday morning for a “move in” cleaning, which is absolutely required after all the dust kicked up by the aforementioned painters and floorers. And, oh yeah, also coming wednesday morning? The movers… so hopefully the cleaners will be done before the movers arrive with the first half of all our worldly possessions.

That’s right. This is it. M-Day is rapidly approaching.

No, I havn’t packed a single solitary thing. And seeing as the weekend is jam packed with entertaining events (ha ha), it looks like I will be doing it all Monday and Tuesday.

The past few days have been full of lasts. Last Thursday morning rush at the house. Last truly relaxed family meal together at the house (and last time Greg gets to use our gourmet kitchen!). Last after dinner walk at the beach. And as much as I am treasuring these moments, I have been having some anxiety. Shortness of breath. Difficulty sleeping. Queasy stomach. As I was thinking about it I realized that this house purchasing and moving process has been very emotional. Ultimately, I’m sure it will be worth it, but in the meantime, here are my Seven Stages in relation to Home Relocation (Buying a New Home or Selling your own house).

  1. Excitement.
    • Buying: If you didn’t start out in a good, optismistic mood, you would never move.
    • Selling: Of course your house is mint, so you expect people to be knocking down your door in their haste to own your fabulous property.
  2. Skepticism.
    • Buying: Once you actually start looking, you begin to doubt you’ll ever find a house you’ll like.
    • Selling: The market sucks, people are so darn picky. No one will ever buy.
  3. Nervousness.
    • Buying: You’ve found a house. Finally. Will they take your offer?
    • Selling: You’ve found a house to buy, but will you ever sell your own?
  4. Anticipation.
    • Buying: The deal is done. You’ve got time before the actual stress of moving, so you can dream about how great it will be.
    • Selling: Someone has made an offer, things might work out all right!
  5. Sadness.
    • Buying and Selling: You have to actually leave this home where you’ve put so much blood, sweat, and tears; got married, earned a degree, and gave birth to two children.
  6. Panic.
    • Oh shit. So many things have to be done. Stuff has to be packed. Changes of address filed. etc etc etc. The last time I moved I was a single girl with few posessions. Now I am a family of four with all that stuff.
  7. Contentment.
    • (I’m not there yet, I’ll get back to you on this one).

I am firmly stuck in stage 6 right now, and looking forward to stage 7. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to come help pack, I’ll provide the beer, or the margaritas, whichever you prefer. Just save some for me.