I think Cosette is Lactose Intolerant. (Not sure why I capitalized that; I guess I wanted you to hear the emphasis. Da da duuummm...)
She has been having "episodes" where she clutches her belly and cries "my belly hurts!" and ten minutes later goes running to the bathroom for a not-quite-diarrhea bm. Which makes me appreciate once again the fact that she is potty trained; even so, cleaning that mess is no fun. Also, it's amazing that such a large stink can come out of such a small body. Her bum is all red and irritated; I even had to send Greg out for an emergency desitin run the other night. We though we were past those days...
This has been going on for a few weeks now. Only yesterday day it occur to me that these episodes seem to happen just after she's been drinking milk.These episodes seem very familiar; I was lactose intolerant as a baby, then I wasn't, then I was again, and now I'm not... but I remember the horrible stomach cramps.
I am going to buy Lactaid milk today and we will see if that helps. Poor girl. At least these days you have that option; when I was little I couldn't drink milk or eat dairy of any kind. My dad had to give me this thick sweet goo that was my calcium supplement; we used to call it Bone Juice and I hated it. We'd go out for ice cream and I couldn't have any; sherbet is just not a good substitute. I was ecstatic when we found the ice cream parlor that served frozen tofu.
We will try the lactose free diet for a few days and see what happens. We've been fortunate not to have any other allergies as of yet, so if this is the worst of it I guess we will manage. We shall see...