There is a guy that I have been collaborating with for the past few years. He works at a local biotech, and our project keeps us in touch infrequently. Recently, we have been trying to finish up the project, and have been back in touch a lot more... only he has been out a lot lately. So have I, what with the girls being sick and all, but that is more common for me then it is for him. I know he works full time, goes to law school part time, and has two young children, so hey, the guy is busy... but this morning I finally emailed him to ask how things were going and if he had made any progress.
He responded within a few minutes that he was working on it, blah blah blah, and "Thank you for your patience. My wife got diagnosed with breast cancer not too long ago (about 3 weeks) and on top of finals and doctors visits, it has been difficult to keep my head above the rising water."
I audibly gasped as I sat at me desk reading that. He is my age. His wife is my age. His kids are the same age as my girls.
How do you respond to that? Oh my god, that sucks? I hope the chemo isn't too awful? I hope the cancer was an early stage? I went with "I am so sorry to hear that. My best wishes to you and your family as you battle this."
But man.
Merry Christmas, huh?