We went to a workshop at our daycare tuesday night. It was all about preparing for and transitioning into Kindergarten. Surprisingly, just about one third of the parents in attendance had older siblings already in Kindergarten, and one would have thought this meeting would have been redundant, but I guess no one wants to feel like they were less attentive to their younger children. This means that when the time comes with Cosette, I will have to go to the workshop, where I will be able to sit with all the smug wisdom of a parent-who-has-been-through-this-already. OK,OK, they weren't all smug; but a couple of them were smug enough for all the rest.
Anyway, it was helpful and informative and it made me realize a few things:
1. Juliette will be very well prepared, academically.
2. Juliette will be very well prepared, socially.
3. Juliette may not be very well prepared, emotionally.
4. I am not prepared at all, emotionally.
#4 became abundantly clear when I began to get teary eyed as I envisioned my little Juliette wandering through the large echoing hallways of the elementary school. Of course, the director and teachers had thoughtfully provided tissues for just this reason; still, I didn't appreciate when the director paused in the middle of her presentation, looked over at me and asked "Are you getting teary eyed? Do you need the tissues?" Greg, the ever supportive loving guy that he is, laughed and said "You aren't crying, are you?" Cheez, I didn't expect to, but since you asked, yes I am!
#1 and #2 became increasingly clear as the teachers, and one of the (smug) moms (who also happens to be a second grade teacher) started talking about the kinds of things they look for in kindergarten/ first/ second grade, and I realized how smart Juliette really is.
#3 became clear when the teachers began talking about the interactions that have been taking place in school, and some of the experienced moms began to tell their tales of dealing with anxious children. I don't classify Juliette as an anxious child, but she is sensitive when it comes to interacting with other friends, and apparently there have been issues lately with 'friends' learning that they have power, and that power is meanness, excluding friends, not sharing, and being hurtful. I guess this is a typical social development at this age, and it just makes me sad to know that Juliette is going through this. I am not exonerating her, and she may be guilty of being mean herself at times, but her comments and stories lately lead me to believe that more often then not she has been at the receiving end of the meanness factor lately, and this has been hard for her.
Despite these difficulties, Juliette will have been in daycare with these kids for three years by the time the first day of kindergarten rolls around, and she knows them all and is comfortable with them. Unfortunately, not a single one of them is going to kindergarten with Juliette, so she will have to make a whole new group of friends. I'm sure, in due time, this will be fine, but given Juliette's initially reticent behavior when surrounded by a group of strange children, I know that it is going to be a hurdle.
1 comment:
Juliette will be MORE than fine in Kindergarten. And she is not the only one who will be making all new friends. Most of them will be...And, I hate to say this, but lessons in friendship will continue throughout her entire school career....as a teacher I can tell you that it's more about how you, as parents, help Juliette to react to these instances that make all the difference in the world. And I keep telling you she is a SMART cookie!
Post a Comment