Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The inevitable question.

We were at Nonna's house for dinner. Our dinner table discussion revolved around Auntie Lisa's baby- due in June. The girls are very excited to help take care of the baby, but not if the baby cries, because they "don't want to hear it."

Nonna mentioned that she would need help making baby food, and we talked for a while about how Nonna used to make baby food for them, too, and their favorites were chicken noodle soup, carrots, and peaches. It is Nonna's fault that the girls never liked store bought food; once they had the homemade stuff they knew better.

Then Juliette gets a puzzled look on her face. She looks to me and asks "Mommy, how is the baby going to get out of Auntie Lisa's tummy?"

Oh. Kay. I look to my dad. He is silent. I look to my mom. She is silent. In the span of seconds I have an internal debate and finally decide to tell the truth- which I do.

Juliette listens, looks at me for a minute, and then breaks into a grin. "Mommy! I don't think she is going to be able to poop a baby out!"

"You are right Juliette, she would have to push really hard!" is my reply, before we all break into unrestrainable laughter.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I freakin' love my goddaughter!!!

Anonymous said...

That was great! I'll have to remember that one!