Juliette doesn't want to turn 5.
That is because I told her she would have to stop sucking her thumb.
Our dentist told us that it would become a problem when she started getting in her adult teeth; I figured we shouldn't put off the battle but get it over with sooner.
She sucks her thumb all the time; getting her to stop is not going to be easy. When she was a baby and kept spitting out the pacifier I said that it was OK, I'd rather she sucked her thumb, there was no way she would lose that in the middle of the night or drop it on the floor. The flip side of that, though, is that when it is time to break the habit it is a little more difficult with a thumb, which can't be just taken away.
Plus, part of me thinks that I should wait until after kindergarten starts; that is going to be a hard enough transition that she might need a little self soothing.
I'm just glad Cosette never picked up the habit. When Cosette is screaming for me at bedtime because she wants some soothing, while Juliette is contentedly laying in her bed, hugging her blankie and sucking her thumb... those are the moments I wish Cosette had some sort of pacifier of her own. Other then me, that is. I have a feeling that will pale in comparison to the problems we are going to have when Juliette has to stop with her thumbsucking.
4 comments:
Wow...remember how hard they tried to get me to stop sucking my thumb?? And I didn't do it until I was good and ready! Juliette is a strong enough personality that you have quite the battle on your hands...then again, she's smart enough to notice that none of the kids around her in Kindergarten are sucking THEIR thumbs and she might just figure it all out on her own....
I know a very big person who sucked his thumb until he was about 9... he is a well balanced adult now. Peer pressure is also a great deterrent. Orthodontia is amazing! I might try to "Encourage" her to keep it for private,bed time behavior only.
T, I think she will stop sucking when she doesn't need to anymore.The harder I tried with Lisa,the more she needed her thumb.Then she just stopped on her own.I would wait until after she starts school.
Nonna
My Mom tried and tried to get me to stop too and I refused. Until I got into kindergarten and a boy at my coloring table teased me the very first time I started sucking my thumb. It was mean of him to tease,yes, but I stopped cold turkey after that.
Post a Comment