Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hey, what do I know. I was a ballerina.

Juliette's birthday party is this weekend. We invited 26 kids; I expected 16-18 to come. The actual number is even lower. We are at 10 now. Granted, quite a few parents haven't responded, but I've learned my lesson- no calls means... no. The past two birthday parties I've hosted, I was always worried that some of those silent types would appear; so I came prepared with extra food, extra balloons, and most importantly- extra goodie bags. And left again with extra food, extra balloons, and extra goodie bags. And lets face it... as much as the kids love those goodie bags, who needs six extra?

So, eleven it is. And you know what? My feelings are hurt. 10 out of 26! What, they don't like me?

Then I got my first clue, when one mom politely informed me that her sons tee-ball started saturday morning. Ah! The kick off to spring time sports! That is a legitimate excuse!

Hmmm.... Juliette might like to play tee-ball. She is always begging Greg to play catch with her... so I started to look it up. I went to our town website and found our local baseball league. It turns out that opening ceremonies are this saturday. As I was perusing the website, looking for registration info, I got worried because it was all about the boys. Boys boys boys. What about the girls? It turns out that is one of the FAQs! Girls can play baseball until they are seven then they have to transition to the inter-town softball league. OK, so far so good. But then do you know what I discovered? Registration was in January. January! Who plans that far ahead? Certainly not a frazzled working mom such as myself.

But it turns out that missing tee ball registration was not the tragic oversight I thought, because when asked, Juliette said that she wanted to play soccer, not teeball. So I went to our town Soccer league page. It turns out that soccer started the first week of April. That early? It was cold the first week of April. I think it may have even snowed then!

All is not lost. There is a one week soccer camp in August which I can still register for. Five nights of five year olds running up and down the field trying to look like they understand the rules. I'm down for that.

And as for the birthday party? I should be relieved; 10 4 and 5 year old running around on a sugar high and throwing bowling balls around is much more manageable then 20 4 and 5 year olds running around on a sugar high and throwing bowling balls around would be. And I am- relieved. But still...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIETTE!!!!!
Hoping that you all have a wonderful day.
Mrs. S

Lisa said...

Yeah, my students always start soccer when I think it is way too cold out. And it lasts until it gets cold again....super fun for you soon!!! :)