Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'll remind her of this someday...

Juliette: "Mommy, when I grow up, can I go to college where you teach?"

Me: "Sure, if you want to."

Juliette: "Yes. Then I can be near you all day and say 'Mommy, I love you head!'"

----------------------------------------------

Fortunately, that is many years away. One step at a time... I'm still struggling with the idea that Juliette will be in kindergarten next year. Kindergarten! At the same elementary school I myself attended for grades 1-6. That I remember attending as a student. It really messed with my head when we went for parents orientation a few weeks ago. It all looked so much smaller. And yet... the same. I found out that my favorite teacher... Mr. C, 5th grade... retired last year. As did Ms. T, who was not one of my teachers but who, I remember, seemed like she was near retirement when I was a student myself. I came away quite impressed with the school, gloating to Greg "This is why we moved here!" Greg replied "Yes, and this is why we pay $xx,000 a year in taxes."

Hey. I guess you get what you pay for. And there is nothing more worth an investment then our children's education. 12 years from now when Juliette is picking between expensive college #1 or even more expensive college #2 I'll tell her about this conversation we had. We'll see then if she is still so eager to remain so close to home!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Juliette is going to SOAR in Kindergarten. I know I keep saying this, but I really can't wait for everything she will experience and all the growth that she will have....it's going to blow your mind!