I just spent the morning at a sporting goods store trying to determine the appropriate gear for a 5 year old first time soccer player.
First off, let me just say Thank God my mother came with me. I wouldn't have been able to handle it without her! The girls were on a sugar high, having just stuffed themselves with a cinnabon; the race track painted on the floor was irresistible to them, and they kept disappearing from sight as they raced around.
Second: a disclaimer. I was a ballet dancer. I know all about pointe shoes, leotards, and legwarmers. I know nothing about sports, sports equipment, or soccer. What little knowledge I have is based on what I observed from my brother; most memorable is how his hockey equipment used to stink to high heaven.
Thus, wandering into the sporting goods store, past the only section I am familiar with (work out apparel), I have entered into unknown territory. The last time I went this deep I was looking for a yoga mat, and somehow ended up in the section where they sell cups and other protective gear. What was embarrassing about that was how long it took me to realize I had been misdirected. Fortunately I had no such issues today, following the signs to the shoe and soccer sections. There were several other families there, and at least one mother that seemed as equally ignorant as I, so I felt some camaraderie in our shared confusion.
It took over an hour, the aid of several clerks (I ignored when one guy referred to Juliette as "he"; it was loud and busy and he obviously needs glasses.), and learning the basics of finding and fitting soccer gear, but ultimately we found what we needed- plus a few extras, getting suckered into buying the whole "beginning soccer package". It was worth it, even if we didn't really need another soccer ball. Make that two soccer balls, since Cosette got her own sparkly pink one, thanks to Nonna. Did you know that you even have to buy the right size ball? As we walked out, I felt like I had passed this test. Next, it'll be baseball, as Juliette is already eager to play and we missed the deadline for registration last year. I'm just grateful that Cosette is eager to start ballet and gymnastics; that, at least, will be familiar territory!
2 comments:
Wow! I love that she has all the gear now! I can't WAIT to watch her play!!!!!
If Zac has his way with Avery, I will be joining you as a mom clueless as to how to outfit her daughter for soccer. When we found out that we were having a girl, my thought was-well at least I will know what to do with a girl. I would have no idea about a boy (I have two sisters). But now I see that I may not be as safe as I thought.
Post a Comment