Many many months ago I asked for your feedback about whether or not I should hire a nanny and remove my girls from daycare.
Well, I did hire the nanny.
And all was good. Yes, there were ups and downs, and sometimes I had issues. But the most important thing was her relationship with my girls- and that was always good. They loved her, she loved them, and the rest was extraneous.
And then last month I fired her.
Today was her last day.
As she left, I felt really sad. I will miss her, yes. My girls will miss her, for sure. Mostly, I will miss what she represents. Her leaving marks the end of an era, and a new beginning for me.
I fired her because I don't need her anymore. I am moving to part time at work. Slowly, slowly, that will become no time at work. I am, and hopefully will continue to teach part time at a local university, because I enjoy it, because it will give me something to keep my head in the game, and because I have decided that is what I want to do when I grow up. And that is my only plan for the future. That, and also, to be here when Juliette gets off the school bus. To help her with her homework. To sign Juliette up for soccer, and gymnastics. And Cosette, too.
I am working my way to being a bona fide stay at home soccer mom. And I am happy about it. And nervous. And a tiny bit freaked out.
It may be that this teaching thing turns in to something bigger, and that is a goal, but not an immediate goal. So we will take it day by day, and see what comes.
Of course, when I told Cosette that Vanessa wasn't coming anymore, she asked why? I said "Because mommy will be home." and Cosette responded: "But I want Vanessa!"
Hm. I think I fired her just in time. We don't want our own version of Nanny Diaries, here at the Raising Mommy household!
***note, this post has been retitled based on my friend Stacey's comment.
4 comments:
At least for me, ditching the pipette was like releasing a weight! Good luck, and have fun, with your new beginning!
Oh this is so exciting! I've always thought anything worth doing makes us both excited and scared...and it sounds like you're right in that place.
Gosh, I remember you talking about this being a goal of yours a few years ago...congrats to you for making it happen!
I watched Nanny Diaries just this past week - and you are no Mrs. X that's for sure!
I'm kind of interested to read about this new journey as you go on it in the coming months.... not working for me right now is proving to have its own challenges that I am trying to work through. And as I do I can't help but think that it would almost be more fun to be a stay at home mom when it is time for soccer games, dance lessons and play dates. Instead of play mats, bouncy chairs and stroller walks....
Oh, MY. Jealous, and scared for you. How exciting.
Post a Comment