Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Cats in the Bag

4 Humans
5 Fish
1 Dog
2 Cats

That is the current occupancy at the Raising Mommy household. Yes, we got another cat. His name was Furby, which I changed to Pippen, which the girls changed to Piper. So yes, now his name is Piper. He is six months old, and it took him a little longer to get here because he had to have a minor surgical procedure before arriving. We don't need any more kittens around this house, and having adopted a boy and a girl at the same time... surgery is necessary. He and Tasha get along quite well:



He and Juliette also get along quite well:


In fact, he is just a cuddly happy guy. Well, Lucy doesn't like him much. He has a weird thing, though... he likes to climb up on you and, well, suckle your earlobe. Having nursed two children, I quickly realized what the sadly misguided cat was trying to do. Poor guy must have been separated from his mother too young. He is actually quite gentle, I mean, he is trying to nurse after all, and mother cats like all mothers probably don't put up much with biting. However, gentle or no, this is not acceptable behavior, especially with Greg, or Juliette, or Cosette. Or me, for that matter. So now I have to "wean" the cat, which means firmly 'batting' him away everytime he tries to suckle. It actually is working; believe me, that is a habit you really want to break quite quickly. Although... the animal control officer at the shelter? Loved it.
Weird.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Yey for kittens! So cute!

My two cats are brother & sister and I have to say getting two at the same time was one of the best decisions I made...they just get along and entertain one another.

The very first cat my family had when I was six or so used to like to perch up on my Dad's shoulder. He'd just sit there while my Dad was watching TV...kind of weird - reminds me of your nibbling ear cat!

Lisa said...

ha ha ha! Would that work when it's time to wean Aliza? ;)