I finally had it all figured out. I was happy that I had made my choice, and relieved to be in career limbo for a a while while I spent some time bonding with my family.
Then...
I've been to numerous career fairs and panels, and the message is always this: when the right job comes along, you'll get hired.
All of a sudden, now that I'm not looking, the right job has come along.
And then to make matters worse, another 'right job' came along.
The first is a faculty position at a somewhat local small university that would fit my goals to a T.
The second is an industry position at a local start up. If you read the job description, you'd think they wrote it based on my CV. Seriously, I do not somewhat fit the requirements of the position. I absolutely perfectly fit the requirements of the position.
So do I want the job? As far as the industry job goes... no. Only because I really am enjoying teaching, and I'm not ready to give that up. So as far as the faculty position goes...
I have been wishy washy about it. I mean, yes, I want the job. I just didn't want the job now. But, these things don't come along that often so... what to do, what to do? The faculty application deadline is Monday. This past Tuesday I went in to my PI's office to ask him what he thought, realistically, my chances were of getting the faculty job. I didn't even get to ask, because as soon as I mentioned the opening, he got very still, his eyes got wide, and he said "A real job? You mean a real tenure track job?" Then he swiveled to his desk to look up how many contacts he might have at the university and what strings he might be able to pull.
It turns he has none and there are none, but at least he checked. Anyway, he was so excited about the prospect that he had me sit down and discuss the action plan. Which meant coming up with one. When I walked out a few minutes later, I was dizzy. All of a sudden it was "Duh, of course I'll apply" and, "Oh, S**T, I have to put together an application."
And that was what I've been doing ever since.
4 days, 1 cover letter, 1 updated CV, 1 research statement, and 1 teaching statement later, I am on the other end of a frantic drive to FedEx to make it in time for the Express Ship pickup.
It'll arrive Monday at 10:30. And then, what will be, will be.
Oh, and yeah, I'll send my CV in for the industry job too. Let's see how much money they think I'm worth. It might be good for my ego.
5 comments:
Ummmm......good luck???
PS- How did you get all this cool stuff on your blog now?? The blog reads with the last post update, the good reads, the site counter....Mine needs a serious make over!!!
Wow, how exciting! Good luck!
How exciting!!! Good luck with it all!!! :)
Sometimes we have to see all the possible options to be satisfied with our decisions. So don't beat yourself up-have fun exploring possibilities without the pressure of needing a particular outcome.
Post a Comment