From a parent e-letter I received:
Be consistent: Once you have set expectations, stick with them. Don't teach your child to outlast you. The worst of all worlds is to say, "I said ‘no.’ No. No. No. No. Alright, just this once."
My mom came over to help with the girls yesterday morning. However, they wanted me and only me. When Cosette kept crying for me, I gave in and went to her.
I know, I know, I shouldn't have. Believe me, I know. Plus, my mom lectured me about it, which, even though she is right, makes me feel like a defiant three year old myself.
I fear consistency is my problem. Greg puts it another way; he thinks I feel guilt over not being here for the girls all day long. My mother puts it yet another way; she says I need to put my foot down. I put it a third way: I'm just too tired or in too much of a rush to argue. So I give in.
Yes, yes, that is not good parenting. My husband and my mother are both right.
The worst example of that is bedtime. Juliette is not a problem; she gets in bed and goes to sleep. Cosette on the other hand drags out the process, sometimes for over an hour, crying for me, calling for me, coming to look for me. And I am reaching the end of the rope. I mean, I'm applying for a faculty position, for pete's sake, I should be able to keep one three year old in line. Right?
So last night we turned over a new leaf in the Raising Mommy household. Or, I did, anyway. Everyone else will (hopefully) catch on soon. It starts with bedtime. I am cutting the routine to the essentials: bath, books, brush teeth, and bed.
I know it can be done. A few weeks ago I wasn't home for bedtime, so Greg handled it. And do you know what happened? The girls told him to "don't worry, daddy, we can go to bed all by ourselves." And they marched up to their rooms, got changed, and went to bed. All by themselves.
Greg said the best part of that story was the anticipation of seeing my face when he told it to me.
I don't expect miracles; we all enjoy our 'essential' routine. They aren't quite old enough to bathe and brush alone, and Juliette isn't reading on her own quite yet. But I do expect bedtime to become less painful.
Project: Discipline starts NOW.
1 comment:
Good luck! :)
Post a Comment