Sunday, August 29, 2010

Men vs. women: what you hear when you listen in on someone's conversation.

Greg and I went so see Avatar last night.  You know, bringing back movies is awesome for those of us who couldn't manage to get around to see it the first time around.  It was definitely worth seeing in 3D.  It was also, as I can't remember who told us,  Dances with Wolves but with blue aliens. And a happier ending. And a much bigger budget.

Anyway, we were walking into the theater and heard this snippet from a voice that was pitched just so in order to rise above the hum of conversation that surrounded us:

"Who does he think he is, Tiger Woods?"

Greg and I both laughed, and I said, "Wow, what an insult!" and Greg's laugh changed to surprise.  Because although what I heard was: (Imagine this said with scorn)  "Who does he think he is, Tiger Woods, that cheating bastard?"what Greg heard was: (Imagine this said with admiration) "Who does he think he is, Tiger Woods, professional athlete and millionaire?"

No comments: