I was reading some of my favorite blogs this morning, and I was struck with this realization: poop is now an acceptable topic of conversation among women and mature adults- not just in a beer guzzling- manly “daily constitutional”- Seinfeld episode sort of way. I haven’t talked about poop this much since… since… truthfully, I don’t remember ever talking about poop this much. I have posted about it, as have several other mommy and daddy bloggers (check this or this or this out). Often in smelly vivid detail. This weeks parent center e-column was about poopy. Juliette has been constipated for a few days, and everyone at work knows it. It is a constant topic of conversation. I was greeted at work today with: “Hi, Good Morning. How’s the poop situation?” As I responded, I was thinking that I never had conversations like this three years ago. It actually starts with pregnancy- because one of the things you learn after you become pregnant is that pregnancy makes you constipated and childbirth gives you hemorrhoids. Plus every pregnant woman whispers about her fear of pooping while pushing. As soon as the baby is born, it isn’t your own poop you are thinking about. Baby poop becomes an important topic of conversation. First it is the meconium, then the mustardy yellow poopy. What it looks like will depend on whether the baby is breastmilk or formula fed- and your pediatrician will give you the details. You have to keep track of how often it happens and what the consistency is. Then, as the baby gets older, you start anticipating potty training, and your toddler becomes fascinated with poop. You read books about poop. (And the little kid in you can’t help giggling as you do so. Hey, even my grandma laughed when she read this book.) And I am beginning to realize that although poopy diapers can be nasty, toddler potties are even worse. Especially when toddlers don’t like to sit still, and are used to pooping on the go.
I would like to pledge to you that I will not talk about poop in public, but I know that I won’t be able to keep that promise. It’s just so shocking, at times. It’s as if we parents have to talk about in order to move past it- it is a form of therapy. And in the meantime, remember the wise words of Taro Gomi: “Everyone poops.”
No comments:
Post a Comment