Wednesday, May 17, 2006

It really IS liquid gold.

I was driving home last night when I heard the following report on NPR...

Breast Milk for Sale?

I guess this is the capitalistic modern day equivalent of a wet nurse. What bothers me is that the women who are providing the breast milk are donating it for all the best reasons, and then these companies are turning around and making a profit from it.

Plus, I wonder what effect the pasteurization and processing has on it?

Fortunately, I was able to breast feed my two girls. I finally weaned Cosette just a couple of weeks ago. It is nice for women who can't breast feed to have breast milk available to them. But personally, I think I'd be a little weirded out by it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope I'm lucky enough to breast feed also...that totally weirds me out and I don't think I'd do it even if I couldn't breast feed!!!

Kim Tracy Prince said...

Ick! Me too.