It was such a beautiful sunny day that I decided to take a walk over to the bookstore to find a hair style magazine. I'm thinking of getting a hair cut and I wanted to browse through some potential styles, and I don't feel like sitting at my desk at work reading through the huge pile of papers stacked up all over the place. So off I go. First, though, I stop in J. Crew because I saw some cute tops in the catalog but can never predict which size to order. I am slowly browsing my way through the store when Elizabeth, the petite sales lady with the very loud voice (and cute 'do) offers to start a dressing room for me. She notices the cute cotton top I am gazing at, and informs me "You know, we have those in a softer, looser, material if you'd like, because I notice" (her gaze shifts towards my belly) (she notices the expression on my face and corrects herself before she makes a fatal faux pas) "that you are wearing that sort of thing already."
No, actually, I am most definitely not wearing that sort of thing already.
Beotch.
My mood does not improve while in the fitting room as I finally reach the inevitable conclusion that J. Crew clothes are just not for me. Well, except for one breezy loose elastic waist crinkle skirt, in brown- brown is the new black, you know.
I leave J. Crew and head over to the bookstore. I head straight to the magazines. I can't help noticing that the one hairstyle magazine they have is happily nestled in between the pregnancy/ parenting magazines and the diet/excercise magazines. And I thought to myself, whoever thought it was a good idea to organize the magazines in this fashion? Once you become pregnant, your body will never, ever, look that trim and fit. Never.
Mission accomplished I head back to work, but then make a quick detour at Origins to by some new cleanser. The cute sales lady is giving some liberated guy a facial but stops to check me out, and ask "When is the baby due?"
I look up at her, reach across the counter and slap her- once on each cheek- then grab my bag and walk out the door, flipping my still long enough to be flippable hair as I do so.
Blink blink. Ok, that was my Ally McBeal moment. But I did reply "A year ago."
Beotch.
Thorughly depressed and determined to never ever wear these pants again, I finally decide that enough is enough and head back to work. After stopping in for an ice cream cone at Ashleys.
Hey, I had two babies. So I have a little poochy belly. Give me a break.
6 comments:
GASP! Those women s-u-c-k, suck. But, I do have to say, you made me laugh when you wrote the line:
"No, actually, I am most definitely not wearing that sort of thing already.
Beotch."
If it makes you feel better, in the few years I've known you, I've already thought to myself several times that I hope I can look as good as you do after two babies. So there.
And I hope the ice cream was fantastic.
I would have slapped her for you! Beotch is right! You look amazing for having two kids...stupid cute sales ladies have NO idea what it is like to live through pregnancy, childbirth and motherhood. Beotches.
I think I'm too nervous to jump away from the PC world.
AND last night, I ate a spoonful of CREAMY peanut butter for a midnight snack.
And you know, it wasn't 1/2 bad...
I laughed so hard there are tears in my eyes at this:
"I look up at her, reach across the counter and slap her- once on each cheek- then grab my bag and walk out the door, flipping my still long enough to be flippable hair as I do so."
Because even though I knew as I read it that it must be a joke, the IMAGE of you doing something like that was hilariously shocking.
LOVE IT. At least asshole moments like that can inspire great writing.
T, that was such a funny post! Your funniest yet!!! Oh man, when I read the first "beotch" I was dying...
Don't worry, you just have a healthy glow about you, Im sure thats what they noticed...
if it makes you feel any better, I shot about six portraits in the last two days and on a number of occasions I told my subjects that my older sister had the prettiest smile that she could just turn on for the camera and don't you wish we could all do that I know I can't sort of conversation...you know, just breaking the ice sort of thing.
So while those beothces were being beotches, I was off in Boston some where complimenting you and you didn't even know it!
lovebrudda
Hey girl, you were steps from my office! Next time give me a call when you come up my way! I'm in the directory...
This was very funny!
Post a Comment