Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My week long (mis)adventures as a Single Mom. Day 2: Shopping therapy.

Tuesday: I'm in a good mood because I spent a few hours shopping today. I need something to wear to the luncheon I am attending on Friday in place of my boss, who is on vacation. It is a work function, and therefore perfectly acceptable for me to shop during working hours. I found a cute dress, a skirt, a pair of pants, and 2 tops. More then I need for one luncheon, I'll agree, but have I mentioned how much I love Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft?

We eat dinner at mom's. I bathe the girls there, put them in their pj's and drive home optimistically expecting at least one of them to fall asleep in the car. Optimism unfufilled. Arrive home, unpack the girls, the bags, the dirty cups and garbage that are littering the car, and the dog, and carry them all- except the dog- upstairs. Realize I forgot Cosette's sandals at my parents but don't worry too much because she has another pair of shoes. It's late, so I try something different: No bedtime routine whatsoever. Cosette goes to sleep easily- it's late, she's tired. Juliette does not sleep easily- it's late, she's tired. Has a temper tantrum over the fact that I won't let her sleep with me in my bed. Truthfully, I contemplate letting her, for about five seconds until the thought of being kicked and jostled by a sweaty three year old who often talks and cries out in her sleep, and further thoughts about the forthecoming battles over said issue (because if you let them get away with something once, they think they can do it over and over and over again) rapidly affirms my initial negative reaction. Everything is quiet by 9:00; I drop into bed and fall asleep immediately.

No comments: