Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Diaper brain.

Saturday, Greg took Juliette to a birthday party (having spontaneously and finally decided that he should get more involved). Cosette and I went to the grocery store, and I bought Cosette a package of diapers. As I was getting them off the shelf I said to Cosette "Hmm, you are getting big, maybe I should get the next size." But then when I saw that size 4 is for 22-30 lbs I told her "22 lbs! Mommy would be so happy if you were 22 lbs, but there is no way you are that big so I think we'll wait." (Cosette has been holding steady at 19 lbs 4 ozs for several months now.) She nodded her head and agreed "Yeah."

Later at home as I am changing her diaper I notice that her legs are getting chafed where the diaper is rubbing. I have a quick internal debate... can I just use up the last package of size 3 diapers before moving up? But the chafed skin argues against it, and I realize that yes I should in fact have purchased the larger size. Why is it that they always grow a size right when the diaper stacker is stacked full? Fortunately, I had saved some of Juliette's old size 4 diapers. Cosette is now wearing the last size diaper that Juliette wore! I put one on Cosette and it was slightly big but not so big it'll leak. In other words- perfect.

So yesterday I bring the unopened package of diapers back to the grocery store and go to the customer service desk to get my money back. I briefly contemplate blaming Greg, as in "ha ha, my husband got the wrong size diaper" but then decide to forego any explanation beyond "it's the wrong size" (it is not lying, I'm just avoiding responsibility). Then I go buy a bigger case of size 4 diapers. I pick up a few other things, check out, and am on my way out the door when I glance at the box of diapers and notice that I have just purchased a whole case of size 6. Size 6! I stop, turn around, and I roll the cart on over to the customer service desk where the same lady waits on me. Without commenting, she holds onto the size 6's while I go find the correct size. It is an even exchange as far as the price goes- $30.99 for a case of 100 size 4 pampers cruisers; although I do notice that I would have only gotten 72 diapers for that price if it was size 6. Huh. Hopefully I will never get to size 6 with Cosette. Despite that it takes her 10 minutes to complete the transaction, partly because she asked many many times "You want the size 4, right? You have the size 4, right?" Yes yes, thanks a lot.

As I walk to the car, size 4 diapers in hand, I think to myself "you are really losing it." and I picture Cosette nodding her head in agreement "Yeah."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally would have pulled the "my husband got the wrong size, hahaha" thing. You're a good wife.h

Kim Tracy Prince said...

Look how fancy you are with the beta. I just noticed.

I haven't commented in a while because things have been so crazy around here. So here are some stored up comments:

a)I really really love your new haircut. Don't know how new it is, actually, but I just love it.

b)Yikes about losing Juliette for 1 second! I can totally relate. I don't have a story for it, but I can relate.

c)Kyle is 31 pounds. THIRTY ONE. Size 4 diapers.