I went to see "What Happens in Vegas" last night. I hadn't planned on it; I had actually meant to go to the gym, but seeing as I left my gym bag in the wrong car and didn't realize that until I was halfway to work for my weekly group meeting, there was nothing I could do to remedy that oversight.
So instead, as I left work, I determined to go do some shopping; I need some spring clothes and a new pair of Khakis.
But as I was sitting in the truck driving towards the mall I realized that I really didn't have the energy for shopping. It has been a long time since I've really enjoyed a day of shopping. I just don't have the time. Plus, still carrying around 10 lbs of baby weight makes trying on clothes just plain depressing. When I do shop, it is usually for the girls or a gift for someone else. In, and out- motherhood makes you perfect the art of beeline shopping. No meandering through the aisles, no trying on armloads of clothes to find the one perfect thing... straight to the rack, find the size you need, and checkout.
Sigh. I remember the days when I enjoyed shopping. The big fat irony is that now I can afford the shopping- much more so then I could then- but it just isn't fun anymore.
So I decided to nix the shopping. But I needed some quiet me time, some relaxation. Manicure? Nah. Then I drove past the movie theatre and it hit me: a good funny chick flick would be perfect.
I walked in and it turns out that, due to the spontaneous nature of my movie going experience, my two choices were Iron Man or What Happens in Vegas. I do love Robert Downey Jr but brooding superheroes- hmm, maybe that would be good- except that move was too long; I needed to be home by 8. So Vegas it was.
This was the third or fourth time I'd been to a movie solo. It's not such a bad thing, especially since I was finishing my latest audiobook as I waited for the movie to start, instead of sitting there silently twiddling my thumbs. I noticed that someone finally got smart and they were playing commercials on the movie screens while people filtered in to find their seats. Then came the previews; which are almost the best part of the movie experience. The first preview was for Sex and the City, and it made me wistful for women speaking frank truths with no taboo topics and being painfully honest with each other in a way that is completely unrealistic... how refreshing. I can't wait. Then a came the preview for Mamma Mia, which I do want to see until I realized that the somewhat unattractive pudgy guy was none other then Colin Firth. Gasp! Colin Firth looking unattractive? That would ruin Darcy forever. I don't know if I can go see that movie now! (And if you don't know what I am talking about, then I pity you.) And then the Mike Meyers Love Guru movie, and I admit, I did laugh at the preview; which means I've probably seen the best part of the movie. And finally, the Kevin Costner movie where he plays the dumbass who has the deciding vote in the presidential election. I'll see that one when it comes on cable. Maybe.
The movie was good. Short and predictably sweet. I just kept thinking how Ashton is married to Demi, and I hope they last.
I left refreshed, hastily retreating past the pack of high school girls who were giggling "Ohmygawd that was so good!" and wondering, like the old fogey I am now, "Don't they have school tomorrow?" As I drove home in the honking big pick up truck, the rosey glow of a good romantic comedy began to fade, and reality set in. The kitchen was probably a mess, the girls would be hyper and overtired, and Greg would be playing his video game still. I arrived at the house, and before I could turn off the ignition, I heard two small voices exclaiming "mommy!" and then I literally stepped down out of the truck and into the arms of my girls, who were jumping up to give me an exuberant hug.
Reality. It is so much better then fiction.
1 comment:
Cute. And I think you made the wise choice out of the two movies. You see one superhero movie, you've seen 'em all right?
I agree, can't wait for Sex & the City and Colin Firth looking unattractive??? What has happened to the world??!
Post a Comment