Juliette had her kindergarten screening a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to write about it, but it was quite exciting and deserves a mention.
Greg decided to come, and was quite proud afterwards, as we were the only family to have both parents present. The reality was, there wasn't much for us to do... just fill out a 'short' ten page questionnaire while the kids went into the gym for testing, sans parental interference. It turns out it was a good thing that we both went, because he had to fill out the questionnaire while I accompanied Juliette.
I was a little surprised that the staff didn't prepare the kids a bit more for what they were going to face; they just started calling out names and shepherding the kids to the gym. This was a strange environment, they were strange people, and they expected the kids just to go with them. What were they thinking?
Actually, it wasn't a problem for anyone... except Juliette. She refused to let go of me. Finally they grudgingly allowed me to accompany her to the gym door. And then, grudgingly, into the gym to bring her to her first table. And then when she still wouldn't let go,they directed me to a lonely chair sitting isolated in the center of the room. And then, when Juliette kept trying to come to me, they let me pull the chair next to Juliette. And then she finally settled down and began to pay attention.
It was quite interesting, actually; in a way I was secretly happy that I got to observe. There were several stations: math, reading, language & speech, coordination. Juliette did very well, answering the questions quickly, confidently, and for the most part correctly. I tried to stay out of the way, keep my mouth shut, and not offer any visual clues as to her performance. This was only a problem when it came to the free play area, when she didn't play with the other kids but asked me to come play instead. I said no, and she understood enough of the situation not to make a fuss. So she walked right past all the other girls who were playing with the dolls and dollhouses, and went straight to the construction toys.
I caught a glimpse of her file and noticed that her only red sticker was in free play. Was that because she didn't play with the other kids? Is it her fault that she prefers the construction toys? If there had been kids there, she would have played with them.
Anyway, Juliette made it through with flying colors, got a sticker in every square on her 'passport' and was happy to leave, but a bit disappointed not to get to see the classroom.
We found Greg and I checked over the questionnaire. He had left a good third of it blank, and answered a few questions incorrectly. For example, he said that "No", we did not have a record of academic achievement in our household. Really, I think he just wasn't paying attention; it was the only "yes" in a field of 'no's' and I think he just got bored and stopped reading the questions. I was amused that his response to the question "How is your relationship with your child?" was... "Just fine." He was quite irritated about that one, actually, wondering what kinds of things did they expect us to say. After checking his answers, I went to hand in the completed form, and I paused to say "Thank you for letting me stay with my daughter." To which the administrator (whose name and title I do not recall) replied "Thank you for being a good parent."
Aww.
What she meant was, thank you for being a non-prompter... the main reason they don't usually allow parents in for the screenings being that they don't want the parents to help the kids answer the questions. And I appreciate that. But I was just so proud to have a daughter who is so smart, independent, kind, and happy.
Plus, it really is nice to get a pat on the back from such an authority figure.
It was a good day.
3 comments:
Greg's comment about "just fine" cracked me up. Great answer.
I agree with Greg,Just fine is an amazing way for a family to be,How could it be better then that.
nonna
Juliette is really going to do such an amazing job in Kindergarten! I can't wait to hear her stories and to see her grow!
PS- I finally posted!
Post a Comment