My plan for the day Monday was to get my work done as quickly as possible, then finish laying out my closet so Greg could go get the parts at Ikea, then leave by 4:30 to make it for a 5:15 cardio sculpt class at the gym.
Then I couldn't load the saved closet configurations and I got frustrated at the slowness of my laptop. So I spent the whole day cleaning up unused applications, backing up files and downloading new apps for my iPod touch. Before I knew it it was 5:10. My closet wasn't designed, I'd missed the gym class, and I was cranky from dealing with stupid computers all day.
I got home, and the cleaning ladies hadn't come, there were two extra children at my house but no extra parents, and I was hot and grumpy. So was Greg, so we complained to each other while preparing dinner. Cosette and Madora were happily removing every single DVD from their boxes and scattering the cases and the discs around the living room, so I yelled at them to clean up then sent them outside, where they promptly sat in the dirt and started digging. Juliette followed me around the kitchen telling me how she was a good girl because she wasn't making a mess. The parent (Sean) showed up, finally, with another kid in tow, just as dinner was ready. I called everyone in no less then four times before yelling "Everyone GET INTO THE KITCHEN NOW." The three young girls got into a fight over who would wash their hands first, and Juliette went running up to her room in a snit. Everyone else sat around the table... silent and unmoving. The food was on the table but no one was capable of helping themselves apparently, so I ordered everyone to take a plate, take some food, and eat their dinner. Then I sat through dinner with grumpy Greg, mopey preteen female, silent smirky teenage male, three young children, and a completely happy and oblivious Sean.
Everyone left the table without cleaning their plates; then as I was taking out the trash I walked outside and saw Greg with a big wad of chewing tobacco in his mouth. He looked at me with guilt. That was the last straw.
I went upstairs, grabbed my book and my purse, and walked out. Past Cosette, who I hugged and told her I was going to exercise and I'd be back soon; past Greg, Sean and Noah- the former still chewing the tobacco- and into my car- without a word or a glance to anyone else.
I was going to go to Starbucks and sit and have a cup of coffee and read my book; but I was still seething inside and I decided to go to the gym and exercise, bringing truth to my declaration to Cosette of my intended destination.
Fortunately, my gym bag was still in the trunk of the car. I went to the gym; it was pretty quiet. The locker room was empty. I thought about hitting the scale for a weigh in, but decided against it. No need to depress myself further. Then I plugged in my earbuds, turned on the latest episode of Weeds, and hit the elliptical trainer. 30 minutes, 300 calories, and one good sweat later, I was feeling better.
After some abs work and some stretching, I felt like I could face the chaos again.
I drove home. The guests were all gone, the girls were bathed and dressed in pj's, the kitchen was clean and a contrite Greg promised he wouldn't dip anymore.
And all was good again.
3 comments:
I am impressed. After hugging Cosette, I would have walked to the nearest bar and had several drinks, then staggered home drunk and passed out.
Okay, maybe in my dreams...
I'm so happy you walked out. Clearly this is something you need to do more often! Because everything was handled beautifully in your absence!
(And I love the part about Sean being oblivious....so typical!) ;)
Hmm. I didn't even think of going to a bar. A course I forgot to mention that I had already had a nice glass of wine. Didn't help.
Post a Comment