Today was our first day of kindergarten. Last night, as we were leaving my parents house after dinner, I called out "Time to go home! It is a school night!" and my dad came over to give me a hug, pointing out that this was only the first of many many times that I will repeat that particular phrase!
Our school system really eases the kids in; last week, the parents and kindergartners met at the school to go for a short bus ride together. Today really felt like a first day for both of us; the parents and kindergartners all went to school together, then the kids went to their respective classrooms while the parents went to meet with the principal (the principal is your pal) in the cafeteria.
We arrive at school exactly on time and notice cars parked haphazardly all over the lawn- the parking lot must be full. I backed in to a spot and we walk up a small but steep incline, through a small copse of trees- me in my heels and skirt, and Juliette going slower and slower as we got closer. There were a few familiar faces in the crowd, but we are still new in town, so Juliette doesn't have any close friends yet- and none in her class. When three of the girls in her class started squealing with excitement and hugging each other and planning sleepovers while their moms snapped photos and chatted, Juliette and I stood on the sidelines watching, feeling left out. I felt worse for her then for me, but a little bad for myself, too... someone be friends with us? However, when the one girl we do know showed up with her mom- who happens to be my Pilate's teacher- Juliette didn't want to have anything to do with her, preferring to hang at the edges of the crowd, holding my hand, hiding behind my leg.
Finally, the time came for us to separate; and although Juliette didn't want to let go of my hand, her teacher firmly took her from me and brought her into the classroom. As I walked away from her I had to take a deep breath to compose myself (earning a few sympathetic smiles from other moms). Then I had to walk in to the already crowded cafeteria, and find a table with an empty seat in it. As I stood on the sidelines, scanning the crowd of full tables and talking parents, I again had that sense of living-in-an-old-nightmare-deja- vu. Fortunately, a moment later I spotted my Pilate's teacher across the room, sitting at an empty table, so I walked over to join her. I listened to the principal, the nurse, the superintendent, yada yada yada. 45 minutes later I saw the kids coming in, found Juliette- still holding her teachers hand, and went to retrieve her. She gave me such a big smile and hug! As we passed her teacher, she told me that Juliette had done very well. When I asked Juliette what she had done, her response was "I don't remember!" When I asked if it was fun, her response was "Yes!"
On the way back to the car, Juliette picked me a bouquet of dandelions.
Day one, down.
But this day was easy. Tomorrow... she rides the school bus.
3 comments:
Don't ever stop blogging Tina. I will need to know the rest of the story. I know that there will be drama, love and a happy ending...but I want to hear all of the inbetween days too! It sounds like today was a great success . Uncle Russ's first day was pretty similar. Now look at him... in school every day!
Who'da thunk it??
Tina, I love your blog (but you already knew that I think.)
I was actually thinking about Juliette the other day knowing her big first day was just around the corner...if it hadn't happened yet.
I hope you take the obligatory "off to ride the bus" photo tomorrow morning!
To answer your question about the strike through (Michael Phelps part) on my blog...I actually write the post in a word doc first and can do it there in the font section. Then I just copy and paste into the blog post and the strike through stays. Aah, the magic of computers!
You can sit at my table... anytime. :)
Post a Comment