Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Look at the bright side.

Cosette woke up with the biggest smile on her face. It was the most beautiful thing to see. As I was getting dressed, I heard her babbling away in her crib. Figuring it was only a matter of minutes before the full on wailing began, I rushed to finish applying my makeup and ran down to get her. As soon as I opened the door, however, I heard angels singing and bright sunlight streamed around me. Cosette was standing in her crib, smiling and talking and smiling. I went to pick her up, her smile got even bigger, and she exclaimed "mah!". She drank her bottle around the smile- quite a feat, actually. She got down and crawled on the floor, still smiling. When I yelled at her not to go near the dog's water bowl, she stopped, smiled up at me, then turned around and went to find some other mischief. She sat in her high chair eating cheerios and smiling. She got a little bit cranky when I dressed her- getting her clothed has become a battle of wills- me holding her down and she trying to wriggle away- but then as soon as the shirt was buttoned she was smiling again.

I happened to notice, what with all the smiling, that her two front teeth have broken through. Is that why she in such a good mood? I asked her, actually, and her response was "bahbahbahbahbah" and I'm not really sure what that means.

The joy of her smile was definitely good for the soul- especially when that soul is tiredly cleaning up yet more... throwup.

Thought I was going to say something else, didn't ya? But no, even though I am still cleaning underwear, yesterday was instead spent cleaning vomit.

And really, I prefer the urine. After all, the smell or sight of someone else's urine doesn't make you want to urinate too.

Poor Juliette has a stomach bug. Cosette had it over the weekend but although it was very intense it was also very short lived. Maybe that is why she was smiling- it was a "Oh yeah doesn't that suck for you, but for me everythings coming up roses. My teeth don't hurt, my stomach doesn't hurt, and people love me!"

The lesson in this is that you should always look at the bright side. Sure, I had a lot of dirty laundry, but at least it was only coming out one end. And remember I was complaing about the smell of pee? Well, vomit is worse. Cleaning pee off of a 2 year old is a lot easier then cleaning up vomit spatter. So, in the spirit of learning my lesson, I am focusing on the bright side of the day- Cosette's smile.

I just hope the happiness is as infectious as the stomach bug seems to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, some of us would sure appreciate pictures of these smiles every now and again. Geez. Worth a thousand words you know. Im the Godfather for cryin' out loud. "Im gonna make you an offer you can't refuse. Post some pictures of Cosette or swim with the fishes."